2012 Mazda3 to get Skyactiv engine and gearbox

coolmazda5

Contributor
:
2008 Mazda5 5MT Sport w/ Popular Package
skyactiv.jpg

Mazda has announced that the company will employ its new SkyActiv technologies in the 2012 Mazda3. The vehicle is set to debut at Toronto's upcoming Canadian International Auto Show, and it will boast the Japanese automaker's much gabbed-about SkyActiv-G gasoline four-cylinder engine and SkyActive-Drive gearbox.

Mazda says that the two new pieces of hardware should help the Mazda3 deliver more torque at mid-range engine speeds, and that the trick should be good enough to increase fuel economy along the way. As you may recall, the SkyActiv-G engine is a direct-injection design with a low-friction block to minimize mechanical drag.

This will mark the first time that either the new engine or the gearbox has ever been offered in a production vehicle, and the company's designers have thrown in a few exterior tweaks to mark the occasion. Buyers can look forward to slightly revised bumpers front and rear as well as new 16- and 17-inch wheels. The more efficient Mazda3 is expected to land in dealerships by the end of this year. Hit the jump for the full press release.

[Autoblog]

Sweet!

although, the guys at the dealership said 2014... but they never really know anyways. i was the first to inform them about the technology even.

cool, so in 2 years, when my lease is up, they should have the bugs worked out.

:D

Sweet!

although, the guys at the dealership said 2014... but they never really know anyways. i was the first to inform them about the technology even.

cool, so in 2 years, when my lease is up, they should have the bugs worked out.

:D

You mean the Mazda5 with SkyActiv technologies for 2014, right? The Mazda3 is coming for sure, end of the year according to Mazda

Service guy: we are being trained for the new SkyActiv technologies as we speak, it will be here before the year ends

Sales guy: Sky wha? Pffft, 2014 might be the earliest, I'd suggest to get a new model now, it is the best time to buy

(lol2)

I find that 85% of the car sales people I have dealt with in my life have no clue in what they are selling, some with just basic knowledge of the cars. Most say to me, "Well, it seems you know much more about this car than I do." Lol! How sad is that?

Although the company hasn’t yet released specs on the SKYACTIV engine as it will appear in the 3, we know quite a bit about it from our drive of several prototypes equipped with the mill last August. You can read all the details here, but here’s the recap: The iteration we’re likely to see in the Mazda 3 is a 2.0-liter four-cylinder, which was good for 163 hp and 155 lb-ft during development. When it’s burning regular 87-octane gasoline, though, torque decreases by about five percent. For reference, the current 2.0-liter in the 3 makes 148 hp and 135 lb-ft, while the optional 2.5-liter four produces 167 hp and 168 lb-ft.

The engine will pair with Mazda’s new SKYACTIV six-speed automatic transmission, which features an aggressive lock-up clutch for the torque converter. This, combined with the efficient engine, has Mazda hoping for an EPA rating of 30 mpg city/40 highway for the 2012 3—that’s up from bests of 25/33 and 22/29, respectively, for the current 2.0 and 2.5. Stick lovers can rest easy, as the engine will also be available with the company’s slick six-speed manual—although the company isn’t yet revealing the fuel economy for that combo.

The SKYACTIV engine and transmission will eventually be installed in the next-gen Mazda 6, it makes sense for the company to install it first in a small car, where it can reap the PR benefits of the magical 40-mpg figure. We’ll have more updated specs on the 2012 Mazda 3 as we approach its official unveil in April.

[Car And Driver]

Back