Have a CX-9 and a bunch of kids? Check out the pics

T.Narley

I mentioned in a few threads about the xTrons DVD player I added to the 9 to keep the kids happy. We have the factory moonroof so the 9 didnt come with one. I got it on eBay, installed it myself, and was less than $200.

IMG_0535.jpg

There has also been some discussion about kids and car seats. YES, 3 car seats fit across the first row.

IMG_0517.jpg

At 1, 3 and 3 they are a lot of work but I wouldn't trade them for the world :)

Incase anbody was wondering, 3 car seats also fit in the back of an extended cab F150 :D

I guess you rarely use the third row seating, huh? It's hard enough for an adult to get back there with a booster seat with the back attached in the second row since it doesn't allow the seat to tilt forward and slide all the way up. We have one car seat and one booster and we always squeeze people in through the booster side. That's probably the one thing I liked about the Honda Pilot more than the CX9 when we were making a decision...seems like the Pilot had better access to the third row and the third row seemed roomier (likely because of more headroom as opposed to leg space).

Does it bother you at all that you can't use the rear view mirror when the DVD player is down, or do you just get used to it?

It's a squeeze to get in the 3rd row, but doable. The 2 older kids will only need booster seats by this time next year so access will be much better.

You are right, the DVD player completely blocks the rear view mirror, but you get used to it. The kids know we don't use it unless we are going on a longer trip, so it stays folded up most of the time.

For kids aged six to ten or so, I find their favorite way to get into the back seat is via the hatch. They like their "special" entry point and crawling over the seat back is considered a treat not a hassle. Oh to be young and flexible again....

Thanks for the photos! This is my first post, here, and my wife is shopping for a new vehicle. We are Subaru die-hards, I drive an '05 Legacy GT sedan, and she an '01 Outback H-6 wagon. She loves her "OB" but she wants something newer, and probably larger.

The new Outbacks have much more sitting room, but not a lot more cargo space. Plus, no third row, since it's a car. The CX-9 is a top contender, we drove a Grand Touring and my wife was very pleasantly surprised. She thought it outhandled her otherwise-favorite, the Acura MDX, which also has significantly less cargo room than the 9.

100.7 cu. ft. of space behind the first row is pretty much untouched in the crossover class. Toyota Highlander is close at about 94, but I bet the 9 is the better performer. And probably less money, what with how crazy expensive Toyota's option packages get!

Anyway... we're probably starting to have kids soon, and we have one dog, maybe two within a few months. A trip to visit my family in SC last Christmas, with our dog, showed us that the Outback probably won't cut it. The car was packed to the gills.

Siper, we recently took a trip from Cleveland to West Palm Beach in the 9. That's 2 adults, two 3 year olds, and a one year old. We packed 2 suitcases, 2 smaller bags, beach toys, a stroller, my 12 volts jump starter/compressor combo, laptops, etc. and still had room. That was with the 3rd row folded down.

FWIW, our twin stroller even fits in the 9 with the 3rd row IN USE :)

Graco-DuoGlider-Stroller--Lowery.jpg

Wow... 3 car seats on the 2nd row is impressive. When we roadtrip, my wife usually sits between the kids, who are both still in car seats in the 2nd row. Does that count? :)

Mine did too, until we put in the 3rd seat. We had the 2 older kids in the 3rd row for a while but the wife prefers them in the middle.

Holy 3 carseats!! We have 2, a front facing and a rear facing in the 2nd row. Recently the in-laws came down, so I put the front facing in the left most 3rd row, and the rear facing carseat also on the left most, but in the 2nd row. That way the person sitting on the right rear 3rd row could strap the kiddo into the carseat, and the single 2nd row seat on the right could slide forward/back w/out having to slide the left 2nd row seat which is 2 seats, harder to slide forward/back. 2 kiddos, and 4 adults. I sat in the 3rd row right side, and it wasn't too bad, but wouldn't want to sit back there for more than 30 min.

I recently had an opportunity to ride in the 3rd row seat of our Cx9 with my son in his high back booster beside me. Lots of room back there for me. I'm about 5'6", 140lbs. The trip took about an hour and I was actually quite comfortable back there.

As long as the DVD system keeps kids quiet, really, the lack of rear view mirror is easily tolerable.

:D My OEM RSES works very well and the monitor does not block the view but cost a lot more...

The CX-9 is just an awesome family and cargo hauler.

And very sporty and stylish to boot.

Hell yeah!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back