Estimates on Rust Repair

MazdaSpeeder

:
Protege5 (5-spd)
I need to see if I can get wheel well rust repaired on my P5, and I was curious what others paid to have it done. There's no rust that has eaten all the way through the metal, and most of it is confined to the area where the fender meets the bumper and is just bubbles under the paint (some spots are showing). There's some exposed on the edges of the wheel well, but it looks sandable. Thoughts?

my friend had an estimate done for a rust bubble developing on his rear wheel well, same place a lot of people, including myself :(, get them. I think this is the same area you are talking about but the problem is if it is bad enough they need to cut it out and weld a new piece in which is really tricky if the area is not flat, then blend the paint to match. well needless to say this adds up and my friend got quoted at $1200.

^what he said.

You might think it's just surface rust but then you'll get sanding and *poof* you've got a hole. I think Protwins found some jobber replacement fenders, you cut out the old one and weld in the new one.

the only other thing that might be cheaper is buying the "wide" body kit DG motorsports makes. i think the urethane kit is only 400 and would actually go right over the area and isn't really that different from looking stock. you would still have to paint that but it would definitely be cheaper, prolly half as much. since i have a huge rust bubble as well i am contemplating this idea, either that or im gonna go junk yard hunting this summer for a wrecked 5 and cut the piece i need off of that.

i will definitely post my results no matter what i do though cause i know tons of people on here have trouble with rust. hopefully you figure out a solution for yours.

I have the same issue on my PS as well as rust on both sides where the side skirt meets the rear wheel well. Should be dropping the car off later this week or next to have the damage from the hit and run fixed and I asked the guy to take a look at it and quote me a price. If it isn't too much I'll have him do it while the car is in....but $1200 is money I just don't have right now....

Hey Nick I like your idea about using the wide body kit....but if you do that, go carbon fiber. :)

i mean carbon fiber would be pretty cool in theory but i would still paint it to match. not to mention it costs twice as much. if i did it i would do my best to keep the price low (I would paint it myself) so the urethane kit would be the way to go.

Anyone have a link to good pics of the kit? The one on the DG site doesn't really show the entire kit very well.

right there is my biggest problem, i do not know of anyone with that kit on this forum so I have no way to judge it completely. from the looks of it though its pretty decent for being a body kit for our car (considering some are just awful looking).

the only other pic i have seen of a p5 with that kit is the DG show vehicle. if you go onto the DG website again theres a link for their show vehicles and they did a p5 back in the day. if you can look past most of the hideous things going on that car, it represents the kit well. but the wheels they have are pretty wide which helps make it look better too.

The only person I know of with the kit is reynoldsrobbie....here's a link to his thread and post 12 has a couple of pics of the wide body kit.... Looks good and I'd rock the carbon fiber, if money was not an issue.... Of course the wide body kit would mean extra expenses for me as my 16x6.5 wheels would look a little silly tucked in there....so maybe $1200 to get it fixed isn't so bad? lol

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123655263-install&highlight=

those are much better and it does look good except from the front it looks a bit off in the top of the wheel wells. i would like to know how it all mounts to the car.

I'm not exactly sure either but thinking it uses stock clips/fasteners for the side skirts and wheel well areas....not sure how the fender/bumper areas are fastened.

04rearfender.jpg

was just surface rust...had to have the rear quarter rebuilt with all new metal and still no guarantee it wont come back, just on his work..

yea my rust is beyond what that video shows, and like you said it will still come back. im just going to wait until the summer and go from there. all this snow isn't helping much either...

Yeah, this snow sux....I've been trying to keep the slush out of the wheel well just behind the side skirts too. I have bad rust on both sides there too and the slush just sits in there. Maybe we can get together this summer Nick and work on them together...I'm thinking of renting a fender roller and just rolling those fenders...by the time I clear the rust area I should be able to get some 22s tucked back there. lol

i actually had my fenders rolled about 3 years ago since i was getting wheels with a +42 offset. low and behold they still rubbed on my driver side so this past summer i borrowed a friends grinder...needless to say there really isn't much of a fender left on either side. and even after all this...it still rubbed. i kinda gave up on it for the time being but this summer i have a lot of stuff i want to deal with:

somehow clear all the rust on my car (esp the bubble!)
make sure wheels completely clear the rear fenders
clear headlight haze (its on the inside so looks like im throwing them back in the oven!)
raising up my rear mudflaps about 1-1 1/2"
fixing the clunk in my rear suspension
spark plugs and wires
clean engine bay

but to stay on topic here i think the only way to get rid of the rust is to get the piece cut out, but then the problem is it could still come back and that would just be frustrating. its really a lose-lose :(

Back