Code P0303 #3 Cylinder Misfire

GermanMP3

:
2001 Mazda Protege MP3
My 2001 Protege started running rough about a week ago. I thought it was the transmission but tonight the Check engine light came on. I read the computer and it had the P0303 # 3 cylinder misfire.

I am planning a tune up, Plugs and wires, new PCV valve. I had the Pre- Cat replaced a year ago. Has anyone on here had the same issue? If so what did you do to resolve it?

Any help will be appreciated guys.........

Hi . I had the same issue U do (2002 lx). Changed the plugs and wires and reset the check engine light, after 40 miles it went back on and I couldn't get rid of it. Than changed the coils with used ones - didn't help. The dealer recommends to put new coils and wires , but they R total of 300 + tax and I do not believe that this would solve the problem. In general the car runs well with the same good gas millage and only from time to time runs purely for seconds which makes the ch eng. light to start flashing for awhile and than go back to steady. I am not planing to spend 300$ to see if they R right so for now I will stay like this , but if any one has an idea , I would test it .

Hi . I have the same issue U do with my 2002 lx. Changed the plugs and wires and reset the check engine light, after 40 miles it went back on and I couldn't get rid of it. Than changed the coils with used ones - didn't help. The dealer recommends to put new coils and wires , but they R total of 300 + tax and I do not believe that this would solve the problem. In general the car runs well with the same good gas millage and only from time to time runs purely for seconds which makes the ch eng. light to start flashing for awhile and than go back to steady. I am not planing to spend 300$ to see if they R right so for now I will stay like this , but if any one has an idea , I would test it .

New coils would be the first thing I would do, especially if they are old and have lots of mileage. Keep us posted on whether it works or not.

Coil i concur. Same error message and i opened the engine cover to find one of the coilpacks to be sparking. I didnt want to by a new one at the time due to money, so temporarily i siliconed the top, worked like a charm until i could afford a new one.

I purchased new coils, decided to change both of them at the same time. Replacing wires and plugs too. I am waiting on them to be delivered, it sucks having to order everything since I am in Germany. I will update you guys as I go.

AutoZone has some cheap ones listed for $30 a piece, but I am not sure of the quality. I bought mine from onlinemazdaparts.com for $83 and some change. I have purchased parts through them before and have been happy with the quality so far. Shipping is fast to.

Well I replaced both coil packs, plugs and wires. Been driving for awhile now without any issues !!!!!!!

Well I replaced both coil packs, plugs and wires. Been driving for awhile now without any issues !!!!!!!

Just wanted to say that I did the same a long while back, had the random misfire code and replaced both Coil Packs. Ran like a champ until I tried to drive it like a boat.

Back