Welcome to the James Barone Racing Forum - Upgrade your Mazda with High Quality Parts at Great Prices from JBR!
Upgrade your Mazda with High Quality Parts at Great Prices from JBR!

Thread: Code P0303 #3 Cylinder Misfire

Registered Member

2001 Mazda Protege MP3

Code P0303 #3 Cylinder Misfire

My 2001 Protege started running rough about a week ago. I thought it was the transmission but tonight the Check engine light came on. I read the computer and it had the P0303 # 3 cylinder misfire.

I am planning a tune up, Plugs and wires, new PCV valve. I had the Pre- Cat replaced a year ago. Has anyone on here had the same issue? If so what did you do to resolve it?

Any help will be appreciated guys.........

Registered Member

2002 protege 2006 3

Hi . I had the same issue U do (2002 lx). Changed the plugs and wires and reset the check engine light, after 40 miles it went back on and I couldn't get rid of it. Than changed the coils with used ones - didn't help. The dealer recommends to put new coils and wires , but they R total of 300 + tax and I do not believe that this would solve the problem. In general the car runs well with the same good gas millage and only from time to time runs purely for seconds which makes the ch eng. light to start flashing for awhile and than go back to steady. I am not planing to spend 300$ to see if they R right so for now I will stay like this , but if any one has an idea , I would test it .

Registered Member

2002 protege 2006 3

Hi . I have the same issue U do with my 2002 lx. Changed the plugs and wires and reset the check engine light, after 40 miles it went back on and I couldn't get rid of it. Than changed the coils with used ones - didn't help. The dealer recommends to put new coils and wires , but they R total of 300 + tax and I do not believe that this would solve the problem. In general the car runs well with the same good gas millage and only from time to time runs purely for seconds which makes the ch eng. light to start flashing for awhile and than go back to steady. I am not planing to spend 300$ to see if they R right so for now I will stay like this , but if any one has an idea , I would test it .

Donated: $10

Laser Blue MP3

New coils would be the first thing I would do, especially if they are old and have lots of mileage. Keep us posted on whether it works or not.
    MY BUILD!
    Go
    Engine:Custom 421 header&Magnaflow midpipe,RB catback w/CS&Kartboy hangers,K&N CCAI,Medieval pulleys&MMs,NSN spacers,Twiggys,SpeedCircuit stage2,FSZE pistons,Fidanza flywheel,adj.cam gears,AWR pan
    Suspension:Bspec&Aspec,AXR,GTspec links/cage, Autoexe tie bar,RacingLine endlinks
    Wheels & Brakes:Yoko AD07,MSP front brakes,KVR lines,HPS pads,Kosei K1s w/RE01R(autox)
    Transmission:welded MSP LSD,TWM SS w/bushings,CS clutch line,626 5th gear

Show
    Exterior: painted rims & emblems,Mintblue grill,smoked clear sidemarkers,foglight deletes,LED&chrome bulbs, painted calipers,Tribute nozzles
    Interior:NGK AFX,Prosport gauges,daveBs,MS sidesills/mats/centre console,SD Boots,LED lighting
    Engine:Optima,painted/cut valve cover,hood props,ADP,grounding kit,Gujustud
    Audio:Sirius

Not yet on the car
    Xpel headlight covers,XC eyelids,MZ3 mirror,secret project,Kenwood upgrade

OttawaMazda

MP3 258/1500 [blue]

Coil i concur. Same error message and i opened the engine cover to find one of the coilpacks to be sparking. I didnt want to by a new one at the time due to money, so temporarily i siliconed the top, worked like a charm until i could afford a new one.

Registered Member

2001 Mazda Protege MP3

I purchased new coils, decided to change both of them at the same time. Replacing wires and plugs too. I am waiting on them to be delivered, it sucks having to order everything since I am in Germany. I will update you guys as I go.

2001 Mazda Protege MP3

Where's the best place to pick up new coils? I'm >165k miles and I know I'm on borrowed time.

Current: 1998 Atlantic Blue 'Terminated' Cobra : 1996 Black Turbo Cobra : 2005 CTS-V : 2001 Mazda Protege MP3

Former: 2004 Suzuki sv650s : 1998.5 SVT Contour : 1987 GT whipplecharged convertible : 1994 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    My automotive calculators

Registered Member

2001 Mazda Protege MP3

AutoZone has some cheap ones listed for $30 a piece, but I am not sure of the quality. I bought mine from onlinemazdaparts.com for $83 and some change. I have purchased parts through them before and have been happy with the quality so far. Shipping is fast to.

Donated: $15

I have autozone bought coils on my car now and they have been good for several months now
    Fuelly

Registered Member

2001 Mazda Protege MP3

Well I replaced both coil packs, plugs and wires. Been driving for awhile now without any issues !!!!!!!

260th MP3, Blue Mica

Quote Originally Posted by GermanMP3 View Post
    Well I replaced both coil packs, plugs and wires. Been driving for awhile now without any issues !!!!!!!
    Just wanted to say that I did the same a long while back, had the random misfire code and replaced both Coil Packs. Ran like a champ until I tried to drive it like a boat.
    Proud Owner of the 260th MP3 off the line

MODs:
    Injen Blue CIA, 120 volt outlet in rear of center console(push button on, inverter in trunk), RCA jack for Audio/Video

Blown Tranny at about 167k...Hydro Locked at about 196k...Cylinder Head gasket and valve stem seals 197k