Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!

Thread: Mazda 2 in the snow...

2011 Mazda 2 Sport (Black)

Mazda 2 in the snow...

So seeing as how there are very few new Mazda 2 markets that haven't seen snow so far this year, how did everyone's 2 handle the weather?

We got about 10 inches overnight last night here in Maryland. I drove it at the beginning of the storm and right in the middle of it later last night... then again this morning on the way to work. The stock rubber seemed to do a decent job, and although the car is super light I only really had minor issues trying to go uphill in the really deep stuff.

I know some of you Canadian owners even got a set of snow tires with your purchase, so I can imagine that setup is pretty solid.

Donated: $22.22

A VW... Ugh.

Well, I am in one of those few areas that did not get snow this year (Plus, I just got my 2 last week), but it is great to hear they do decent, just in case I travel to an area with an abundance of wintry weather!
    I brought mine home from the dealership in some very strong rain and wind though, and i was surprised at the stability for such a lightweight small car.

Speaking of Stability: When in snow, do you drive with the dynamic stability control (DSC) on or off? I was in Chicago when I had my Civic Si and it wouldnt go anywhere in a snowy parking lot with DSC on...
    Previous: 1992 Mazda Protege DX, 1989 Mazda RX-7, 1993 Mazda 323, 2001 Mazda MP3 #296, 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata MX-5, 2010 CX-7 iSV, 2011 Mazda2 Touring, 2010 Mazda MX-5 Touring, 2012 Mazda5 Sport (my lady's)
    Current: in a state of VW confusion

2014 Mazda 6 Sport - Soul Red Mica

I have been very pleased with how my 2 handles in the snow with the factory tires. I always leave DSC on. I traded a Honda Civic EX sedan for the 2...and though I was very pleased with the mobility of the Civic...I think the 2 is even more sure footed.
    John 3:16 - For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.(redpro)

2011 Mazda 2 Sport (Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_rsp View Post
    Speaking of Stability: When in snow, do you drive with the dynamic stability control (DSC) on or off? I was in Chicago when I had my Civic Si and it wouldnt go anywhere in a snowy parking lot with DSC on...
    I actually hadn't even considered turning the DSC off... I'm not sure if it would have made a huge difference in either direction, but I did leave it on.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

11 MX5 SE Dolphin Grey

Items For Sale
    I have Continental Extreme winter snows on and it is a great snow car. (as long as you have clearance)
    We had 12" a few days ago and I find myself taking the untraveled secondary roads to stay clear of the SLOW traffic.
    It's fun to run away from the local redneks in their jacked up 4WD pickups.

Registered Member

2011 Mazda Mazda2 Touring MT

We had quite a bit of snow around here (about 18" on Wednesday) and it did just about as well as I would expect out of a small front-wheel drive car (considering I had rear-wheel drive cars for most of my life, pretty much anything non-rear-wheel drive seems good in the snow to me!). I tried to stick to the less snowy roads though, so I didn't get a lot of experience with it, but glad to hear others have had good experiences!

Registered Member

2011 mazda 2 yozora edition

I find my yozora edition with the performance winter tires just destroys the roads its amazing.
    I took it out to a freshly cleared parking lot the other week and put it complete sideways at 80km/h without blinking an eye the thing just won't wrap around.

I find the back end will kick out very rapidly but it never pivots around the front soon as the front pulls away the back end just slams right back into place its crazy.

even in 7-8" of very thick and heavy snow with 4 other people in the car it would just float across everything its nuts.