noob lost headlight retaining clip

spk02

:
2002 mazda protege 5
hi lost headlight retaining clip so i was wondering if i could change out of these h7 to normal human light bulbs like 9006 or anything normal... the reason i wanna change is cause i know i wont find the retaining clip at junk yard cause there none of these cars at the junk yard, and the clip im willing to bet comes w the head light... which makes it tougher to get a hold of

love the car though it is the first automatic ive own

i already tried the search and the junk yard no luck im located in MA so snow is all messed up and nothing at junk yards, when i searched in this forum i noticed that ppl switch out of this head light to something called a "retro fit" either from a the sedans or other cars w/ hids... however im broke and i dont have that lexury, would be willing to pay for head lights that have a black housing and come with the clip as far as hids go i never had any issues the ebay ones, no offense but i usually end up selling my car before cheapo-ebay hids fade out of me...

mazda
protege 5

before hand i wanna thank you guys for even reading my thread, hope to attend a meet in the near future if there are any up in the new england area, ive still gotta get familiar w forum again thanx before hand and peace...

do have cardomain profile, i work in a healthcare field so always busy and no times for photos yet,

Did you try Greenleaf junkyard up in Fitchburg? If they don't have something they can usually get it for you. Even the Gallo Mazda dealer on Gold Star Blvd has a lot of parts too. Sometimes their prices aren't to bad for being a dealer. Hope that helps :)

I ended up making my own by taking the other clip off the other headlight and bending some spring wire I had into the same configuration. It took me a couple of tries to get right but hey it works perfectly.

I tried the dealer ironically enough that was where I dropped the pin, the pin is not sold as a separate part it comes w headlight i think is like 2 bills, I tried SAMs pull apart once this snow clears up I'll try the Fitchburg area though i was thinking i test drive one n take stupid pin.... Or since i also know these do tend to rust, making 1 out of stainless steel doesn't sound like a bad idea thank u guys...

Ps: I might make a bunch out of wire hangers, sounds ghetto but Ive been thinking and other metals wil brake or not hold... Idk ughhhh

Last edited:
Jaysus F'ing $%^$%^$%

What a coincidence this thread is active right now, this just happened to me tonight.

I was trying to install a new bulb tonight and I almost lost the clip because it loosened from the housing. Luckily, I was able to fish it out with...a toothbrush. Don't ask.

What happened to me, is described here:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...etainer-clip&p=5030817&viewfull=1#post5030817

Basically, the little plastic tab with the screw in it, holding the clip in place, broke. So right now, I have the bulb sitting in there with the rubber ring just holding everything in place...not good because the vibration will cause the bulb to die sooner, and they're $60 GE Nighthawks, and it will also affect light focusing and other drivers will see the light "flickering" up and down.

So my question to ANYONE...and I entreat of anyone here who has experienced this... is, what do I do now?

This is my thought. I want to loosen the screw and put a small washer or other piece of metal underneath it, with the clip in the hole, so that it's all fastened together, pretty much how it was originally. My concern is, what happens if I take this screw out, will I be loosening something else, and then cause another repair issue? Does anyone know how long the screw is? I would like to be prepared to catch it because with my luck, I'll drop it somewhere in the hood.

I already dropped the rubber ring on the driver's side when I was doing that one, and had to stick my arm in up to my elbow to get it out... This all happened in the Canadian Tire parking lot in -15 weather...I was originally headed to CDN Tire to get a replacement gym lock, which I lost yesterday... So, this happy camper is NOT having the best day today (unamused)(unamused)(unamused) I'll be glad for a response, even if it is just sympathy :)

Nothing to contribute to your post. I just want to add... whoever designed the headlight retainer clip should get a smack up side the head... and a solid kick to the crotch.

Sigh... When I saw a response to this thread come in, I was really hoping it was a solution...

I still have not had a chance to try reinstalling the clip. It's been -15 for most days since my last post, and I've had to drive around with the light just "sitting" in the socket. I fear I am slowly wearing away at the expensive GE Nighthawk filament.

Hoping someone may yet have a suggestion for me on how to get that clip back in??

Find stainless wire the same thickness to make another and find a screw with same threads and same size that has washer built into screw head - home depot, lowe's, hardware store. Go McGyver on it's ass.........................I do agree that the designer needs some big fat chuck norris roundhouse kicks in the nuts.

Ridiculous retainer design

ABSOLUTELY agree with the kick in the nuts comment....what a pain in the ass; can't find one anywhere (unless I want to buy a whole new assembly that is! I guess McGuyver it is!

i have more then a few extras of these at the house after doing retrofits as they are not needed. so i would check with some of the local guys who retrofitted their headlights to see if they have the clips.

Back