In Memory of Mazdas247 Member "1338"
In Memory of Mazdas247 Member "1338"

Thread: 6 Seater Mazda CX9 - Query on installing seatbelt for a 7th seat....

Registered Member

cx9

6 Seater Mazda CX9 - Query on installing seatbelt for a 7th seat....

Hello everyone, we have just purchased our Mazda CX 9 and only found out that it was a 6 seater when we attempted to use the middle 2nd row seat...where we discovered there was no seat belt. Well, needless to say we were very disappointed but found through google a link to this site where someone mentioned the same problem. We are based in Switzerland and read somewhere that its possible to install a seatbelt, but better yet get a whole new second row bench. Does anyone know what this could cost and if feasible?

Many thanks for your help.
    Last edited by cboult; 01-10-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Registered Member

2010 CX9 GT Silver/Blk

There is a seatbelt for the middle seat. It is stored in a retractor behind the left side passenger seat in the roof. It pulls down and attaches to two latch points on either side of the middle seat. Just read the manual and it will be clear. It works just fine. Do be aware that you cannot fully remove the middle seat belt once you have installed it without using the car key or something like it to release the buckle on the left side. This is presumably a safety feature.

Registered Member

2010 Mazda CX-9 GT Liquid Silver Metallic

Center-Rear Position Seat Belt (Second-Row Seats)

Quote Originally Posted by cboult View Post
    Hello everyone, we have just purchased our Mazda CX 9 and only found out that it was a 6 seater when we attempted to use the middle 2nd row seat...where we discovered there was no seat belt. Well, needless to say we were very disappointed but found through google a link to this site where someone mentioned the same problem. We are based in Switzerland and read somewhere that its possible to install a seatbelt, but better yet get a whole new second row bench. Does anyone know what this could cost and if feasible?

Many thanks for your help.
    Not knowing what model year your CX-9 is, please see 2010 CX-9 Owner's Manual. Open the bookmarks on the left and navigate to 2. Essential Safety Equipment > Seat Belt Systems > Center-Rear Position Seat Belt (Second-Row Seats) for information.
    Last edited by crikey; 01-11-2011 at 09:18 AM.

Registered Member

cx9

Thanks for your replies.

However the european model 2010 that I am referring to is actually not fitted with the middle headrest or the seat belt in the roof. The position in the roof is there but with no seat belt. ...I ve just found someone on this forum with the same problem and have sent him a PM...thanks again for your replies.
    Last edited by cboult; 01-11-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Registered Member

2010 CX9 GT Silver/Blk

Thanks for your replies.

However the european model 2010 that I am referring to is actually not fitted with the middle headrest or the seat belt in the roof. The position in the roof is there but with no seat belt. ...I ve just found someone on this forum with the same problem and have sent him a PM...thanks again for your replies.
    Sorry, I didn't 1) notice you were from Switzerland or 2) think that there were substantial differences between Euro and North American CX9 models. I cannot imagine why Mazda would not provide a seat belt for the middle position of the second row unless perhaps there are EU standards that would cause problems. I know Switerland is not EU but imagine you get the same model as everyone else in Europe.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 year 2010

hi! I have the same problem. Did you finally solved the problem? if so, how did you solved it? many thanks in advance for your answer
    kind regards
    xavier

Thanks for your replies.

CX Moderator

08 CX-9 GT Fwd, Bose/Nav, BSM,Compass/Homelink, Pwr Lift,Tow

you would have to purchase a 2nd row which has a middle buckle and headrest, and then if you are saying the trim is in the headliner but no seatbelt, you would have to buy all the parts for the roof seatbelt and take down the headliner in the car and install the seat belt into the roof. likely a very daunting task.

08' CX-9 GT FWD
    Color: Gray Mica with Black Interior
    OEM Options: Nav/Bose/Sunroof/Bluetooth Phone/Rack&Crossbars/BSM/Pwr Lift/Homelink&Compass Mirror/Tow Pkg/All Weather Mats
    Aftermarket: K&N drop-in filter/Centric E-Coated rotors & Centric Posi-Quiet Ceramics /Yakima ForkLift Bike Tray / Weathertech front mats
    Tires: Nitto NT850+ CUV
    Oil: Mobile One Full Synth 5w30
    Problems to date: Interior blower relays replaced once, intake manifold rear brace was missing from factory build.
    Mileage: 73k Aug/14
    Job: Auto Physical Damage Adjuster

... ... ...

Registered Member

Mazda CX-9 year 2010

Quote Originally Posted by helbigtw View Post
    you would have to purchase a 2nd row which has a middle buckle and headrest, and then if you are saying the trim is in the headliner but no seatbelt, you would have to buy all the parts for the roof seatbelt and take down the headliner in the car and install the seat belt into the roof. likely a very daunting task.
    many thanks for the reply!