TCS lights stay on for no reason?

Brought the CX-9 back, they bled the brakes and its back to its normal. The service manager said they used the "automatic" method the first time and when I brought it back they manually bled the brakes.

OK, so since I brought the car in for TSB 04-002/11 I've been having a problem where it was idling rough sometimes. I didn't think they were related, I thought I was just feeling the A/C kick on since its finally hot out. Occasionally, I felt like the car would almost move a little bit while stopped at a light or in line at a drive through, etc. I haven't seen the TCS/DSC lights come on since this repair.

Anyways, this past weekend the opposite started happening. I'd be idling in line at the ATM or something, or waiting for my daughter as school, and I'd see the RPMs jump around from 2000 rpm to 500 rpm. Eventually the car shuts off and the check engine and battery lights come on. I can tell when its going to happen, so I've been able to anticipate it and have taken a couple videos of the tachometer. Whats weird is, when I hookup my Innova 3100a code reader, it says no DTCs found - even tho the check engine light is on.

So I brought it back to the dealer.. They just called and left a message saying there is a TSB saying that the ABS module can cause this problem - the wild tach, rough idle, car stalling. Does that sound legit? I wonder if they're referring to the same TSB.

I'm just pissed because its 6 hours driving every time I bring it in... this is the third trip related to this issue, so I've spent 18 hours in the car - 780 miles of driving!!! Thats like 2 tanks of gas, or $150. Plus all the time off work.

OK, so since I brought the car in for TSB 04-002/11 I've been having a problem where it was idling rough sometimes. I didn't think they were related, I thought I was just feeling the A/C kick on since its finally hot out. Occasionally, I felt like the car would almost move a little bit while stopped at a light or in line at a drive through, etc. I haven't seen the TCS/DSC lights come on since this repair.

Anyways, this past weekend the opposite started happening. I'd be idling in line at the ATM or something, or waiting for my daughter as school, and I'd see the RPMs jump around from 2000 rpm to 500 rpm. Eventually the car shuts off and the check engine and battery lights come on. I can tell when its going to happen, so I've been able to anticipate it and have taken a couple videos of the tachometer. Whats weird is, when I hookup my Innova 3100a code reader, it says no DTCs found - even tho the check engine light is on.

So I brought it back to the dealer.. They just called and left a message saying there is a TSB saying that the ABS module can cause this problem - the wild tach, rough idle, car stalling. Does that sound legit? I wonder if they're referring to the same TSB.

I'm just pissed because its 6 hours driving every time I bring it in... this is the third trip related to this issue, so I've spent 18 hours in the car - 780 miles of driving!!! Thats like 2 tanks of gas, or $150. Plus all the time off work.

djc6,
What you described seems more like the throttle body problem, not ABS module.
I could be wrong, but seems like a long shot that ABS could cause idle problem.
Anyone?

FWIW replacing the Hydraulic control unit is a PITA (according to the tech that worked on my CX-9). It's tricky and tight and they have to remove a bunch of stuff to replace it. So they may have knocked something loose or didn't put everything back correctly. In fact I had to bring our 9 back in because the tech didn't tighten one of the supply lines. This is in turn caused brake fluid to leak over a period of a couple months and caused TCS, DCS and the Brake light to illuminate.

FWIW replacing the Hydraulic control unit is a PITA (according to the tech that worked on my CX-9). It's tricky and tight and they have to remove a bunch of stuff to replace it. So they may have knocked something loose or didn't put everything back correctly.

That terrifies me. Who knows what problems will crop up down the line... I tried calling back for more info, they're saying "ABS" module - which sounds to me like the "ABS/DSC module" from the TSB they replaced two visits ago!

As long as they fix the issue I doubt stuff will "crop up". Although cars have gotten more complicated they've also gotten more modularized. Techs just replace modules, they don't tweak. Even trannies are replaced and not cracked open. So as long as they fix this mistake you should be ok. IMO. But s*** does happen. It's an inevitable fact when humans are involved. Which is why I never buy a car that doesn't have a dealership within a half hour of me or work.

Which is why I never buy a car that doesn't have a dealership within a half hour of me or work.

Sometimes thats not possible depending where you live. I have a Honda Accord too, the closest Honda dealer is even further but I've only had to go back twice in 5 years. Funny thing, they only seem to build dealerships in populated areas :) There are just a few used car lots in the area.

Last edited:
So, just talked to the dealer to see whats up.

They have been able to reproduce the car shutting off w/the check engine light & battery light coming on. But they claim the only code coming up is for the same ABS/DSC module they replaced a couple weeks ago. So they're going to call Mazda on Monday (why couldn't they have called yesterday or today) and see what additional steps they need to take before replacing the module again.

My concern is that the code history isn't on the module itself, and the code from before is being displayed. Also, what the hell happened to the old days of being able to troubleshoot a problem and not just go off what the computer says! They're also concerned about not being reimbursed by Mazda if they send back a 2nd ABS/DSC module for my car.

Now after the dealer talked to the Mazda Techs, they suspect the throttle body and not the ABS/DSC module I had replaced causing the car to stall when at idle.

Last edited:
With 2250 miles on the odometer the TSC OFF, TCS Indicator Icon, and for some reason the BSM OFF indicator lights all came on twice this past weekend. They stayed illuminated for about a half hour each time, then cleared themselves. Not sure why the Blind Spot Monitoring system went off - connected to the speed sensors maybe?

It went into the dealership this morning, and they just called and said there was a TSB on it they were replacing a hydraulic control unit. It'll be ready for the missus to pick up by noon.

Last edited:
Yes. BSM is connected to the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) input (i.e. trigger only when speed is >20mph).
Therefore, it is a good guess that the VSS is somehow off, which could mean the wheel rotation sensor is bad.

The repair ticket states "Inspected vehicle and found code C1962 stored. Found bulletin for concern - bulletin #04-002/11. Performed bulletin. Removed and replaced Hydraulic Unit. " The part# TEY9-43-07A0 Unit, Hydraulic was replaced.

Less than 4 hours from drop off to pick up. Not to bad I thought.

However the missus now says the brakes don't "feel" right - softer than before plus it makes a noise occasioanlly. I took it out and it does feel soft but I don't drive it enough to really recall if it's worse or not. But a few times braking normally it felt/sounded like the ABS was trying to engage ever so slightly.

So it's back in the morning. I think I've heard before that both symptoms indicate theres air th elines and it needs additional bleeding. I sincerely hope so.

Last edited:
Sounds like they didn't bleed the brakes adequately. Which appears to be a common occurrence with this tricky repair.

Same issue happen to me earlier today. I stop, turn on the car, swith on, push on and Off the tracking control couple of times, let it on and then turn on the car. It have not occurred again yet, but will be watching it closely and follow advice found here if I need to get it to the dealer.

Mine is CX9 2011, 6.5K miles

I would just have it fixed per the TSB at your next service. They should be able to grab the code from from the car's memory.

I had these lights come on, at least 3 times, during my 1300 mile voyage. There was no rhyme or reason as to when the lights come on. I'm going to take the vehicle and have it looked at.

I have an 07 that the TCS and BCS lights come on after turning left only, if we go straight or turn right nothing, this has been going on for almost a year, lights come on and stay on, it seems like the fix according to everyone here is the ABS pump followed by more problems, not to mention my car is out of warranty so I would be paying for this repair out of pocket, sucks that I have to look at these lights every time I get in the car.

Usually when the DSC/TCS light comes on, likely one of the two in the following is bad
- ABS pump/control unit
- ABS lockup sensor
If it goes on and off, more likely it is the latter.

Just my guess of course. If there is a light on the dash, there is an error code. A diagnostic device and dig out the code.
Do you have a NAVI system?
If yes, I can tell you a procedure (works for '07 and '08, not sure about later models) to display the error codes existing
in the OBD. No external device is needed.
Otherwise, you can go to AutoZone or Kragan Auto. They can read the codes for you for free usually.

more info on displaying codes through the navi?

Do you know how to get into diagnostic mode with your CX9 navagation?
(The following ONLY WORKs for '07 and '08. If you have newer versions, DO NOT BOTHER to try...)

- Power on (engine does not need to start)
- press "Agree"
- press {Menu} hardware button on the left
- press "VV" to see "Navigation Setup"
- press "Navigation Setup"
- press "Map Calibration"
- press "Version"
- press top-left corner twice, press bottom-left corner twice
** now you are in diagnostic mode (or test mode) **
- press "Menu"
You can see the last option is "Error Code".
Many stuff to play with, but I warn you that DO NOT commit to any changes if you are not sure what you are doing.
You can see many technical parameters of the system (steering angle, fuel pulses, GPS satellites visible, etc.)

Last edited:
Back