CEL P0850 Neutral Switch Input Circuit - Is this the Neutral Switch?

john5

:
Protege5
Hey guys, first post. My 2003 P5 is throwing the P0850 code. This makes the idle erratic and high when the clutch is out. I took a look under the hood and I found what I think is the neutral safety switch, just chilling on top of the transmission. It has one black wire and one pink/green wire going to the switch, and from the switch there are two green wires that look clipped. I can't figure out where they are supposed to be connected to. Can anyone have a look at my pics and let me know if this is the neutral switch? Thanks
IMAG0016.jpgIMAG0019.jpg

Last edited:
neutral safety switch ensures you are in park or neutral in an automatic or or clutch is in on a manual.

No idea what that is a picture of thought.

Oddly enough the service manual shows no P0850 code but the connector you're holding is right about where the neutral switch is. The good news is that you shouldn't have any problems repairing that. Pop the pins out of the connector, solder on what's left of the old wires directly to the pins (you probably won't be able to re-crimp them), then press the pins back into the connector. Good luck!

Thanks for your help, I will give this a shot. On page 01-02B-147 of the 2003 service manual it has the diagnostic procedures to fix the P0850. How do you think the wires on the neutral switch got clipped?

Thanks for your help, I will give this a shot. On page 01-02B-147 of the 2003 service manual it has the diagnostic procedures to fix the P0850. How do you think the wires on the neutral switch got clipped?

Yea, most probably gnomes.

Or it could just be that the wires were old and corroded which caused them to crack off. It's odd that it would happen to both wires but I had something similar happen to the ground wire for my fog lights.

Hey guys, first post. My 2003 P5 is throwing the P0850 code. This makes the idle erratic and high when the clutch is out. I took a look under the hood and I found what I think is the neutral safety switch, just chilling on top of the transmission. It has one black wire and one pink/green wire going to the switch, and from the switch there are two green wires that look clipped. I can't figure out where they are supposed to be connected to. Can anyone have a look at my pics and let me know if this is the neutral switch? Thanks
View attachment 178608View attachment 178609

Sorry to revive an old thread. Was this on an automatic?

Back