Computer GURU's, I Keep losing my monitor on my Desktop Computer

ForceFed

:
Trailblazer SS AWD ....Still a Mazda Junkie Though.
This has been a long ongoing problem with my Desktop which I use very little.
I know its not the monitor as it did it with an older one, and I have a brand new one now as well.....And no I didnt replace it because of this issue....More of the other way around, the monitor failed and I am wondering if it killed my Video card. The new monitor did work for a short time, then it finally just bucked the kicket. I can still use the VGA output on the card, as I have a backup CRT monitor working, but the DVI output wont do a thing as far as I can tell. I hate to go buying a new Video card to see if this is the problem, but it seems like this is where I am at. The Card in my CPU is a nVidia GeForce 7300LE currently.

Now, I know if I buy a video card I want only one thing from it.....Dual Monitors at a minimum. I have never removed, installed or purchased a video card by itself as usually I just purchase CPU's complete, but I am tired of overpaying for something that I take very little advantage of. I am not a gamer, but just an internet user. My CPU does have a TV tuner which I love, so this is one of the reasons for the Dual monitors.

Long and short, what options do I have for checking this, and what options are out there to replace this card. Remember, almost anything at this point will be an upgrade to this card so I want to spend as little as possible and get the most for my money if we determine the card is the problem.

Educate me on this guys....and Thanks in advance.

You should probably verify that you have the correct and current drivers for your video card (aka GPU). Assuming your're operating system is Microsoft Windows, it will attempt to load a compatible driver, but it won't always fully-support the card. Maybe you've got a generic GPU driver that doesn't support dual-output? Maybe you have the right driver, but haven't configured it for dual-output display? It's also entirely possible the DVI video output on your GPU is defective.

You don't mention 3D performance, and so I'll assume gaming isn't a priority for you and you're primarily just using it as a 2D card. Given that, you probably don't need something ahead of the curve, just want something built with reasonable quality. To that end, I'd suggest one of:

EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 512MB w/dual DVI output (512-P3-N954-TR) ($59)
EVGA GeForce 9500 GT 1024MB w/dual DVI output (01G-P3-N959-TR) ($75)

I like EVGA. When you register with them online within 30 days, their warranty support is pretty good. I'm suggesting you consider a display card with two DVI outputs as analog VGA video output ports were obsolete three years ago... (Cards include DVI->VGA adapters anyway).

There are actually quite a few other cards worth considering if you wanted a VGA/DVI/HDMI output card, but you would want to verify the card can output in DVI+HDMI dual-head mode, and would need a HDMI->DVI cable or adapter of some sort, unless your flatpanel monitor features an HDMI input.

I actually want dvi or hdmi as my monitor now is hdmi only. I don't do gaming at all , just Internet and things like this. The card was installed factory and had run dual monitors for some time actually, but now the one off my dvi output comes and goes, then finally doesn't come at all anymore. So I was using an old CRT as a backup off the VGA port. I was more wondering if I could check out the card somehow without buying a new one. It would suck to buy something that I don't need that's no returnable once opened.

Okay, if HDMI works for you, and assuming your PC's got a PCIe bus slot (actually true of my earlier suggestions as well), you might want the newer+cheaper EVGA GeForce 210 ($45), which has a VGA + DVI + HDMI output. It's a full dual-link HDCP capable card.

Yeah..Its a PCI-E slot....Or so says the specs of the card installed.

The 210 seemed like a low card even for the money compared to some of the other stuff I have come across with 1G Clock speeds vs. a 4-5ooMhz Clock speed of the 210.

Just wanting the best for the money.

What does is mean to have Dual link Capability..because from my understanding that has nothing to do with running "Dual" monitors.

Dual link should simply mean that it's a full HDMI-spec capable port; I believe it says full resolution on both outputs, which I take it to mean implies dual-head support. Am a little hazy on it, usually go for middle-of-the-pack GPUs as I *do* 3D game. Clock speed isn't very important, nor memory bandwidth, when we're talking about a card slated for 2D desktop duty. Higher clock speed just means it's going to draw more power purposelessly as you won't be using it if the statement you "don't do gaming at all" is factual. Car analogy: Don't get a V12 if a I4's performance is all you want.

Last edited:
Back