CX-7 Oil Cooler O-Ring Replacement

optic

Dealer says that the o-ring on the oil cooler is bad and they do not sell just the o-ring, they only have the entire oil cooler (boom06)

Does anyone know where you can get just the oil cooler o-ring? I called a few local parts stores but they don't carry it.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Difficult to believe that an O-Ring can't be bought separately. I'd try another dealer-a Mazda dealer and not a Ford/Mazda dealer. If no luck there, can you remove the o-ring a take it to a shop that specializes in that type of stuff? Another thout-have you inspected the leak and is it leaking?

Last edited:
Called a both dealers here in town and they both said the same thing. Its only available with the entire cooler. :(

I am going to continue to look and will update the thread if anything comes up.

Thanks

Difficult to believe that an O-Ring can't be bought separately. I'd try another dealer-a Mazda dealer and not a Ford/Mazda dealer. If no luck there, can you remove the o-ring a take it to a shop that specializes in that type of stuff? Another thout-have you inspected the leak and is it leaking?

I took it apart. Removed the old molded seal, cleaned it and use Permatex black 1 min RTV. Torqued it tight. So far after 5K miles its still good.

Thanks for this - Dealership told me the same thing, but I was looking for another option. I'd hate to spend 450.00 on parts when all I need is a 3.00 O-ring.

Found another forum that posted (without results) another dealer that you can order online from. I've emailed the dealer and will post results. The o-ring in the diagram is 4.00 + shipping.

Any bearing shop [ie sells ball-bearings and roller-bearings] would stock a suitable O-ring. All they would need would be the dimensions the o-ring has to fit on.

JJ

Just took it apart and fixed it my self cleaned it and use Permatex black 1 min RTV thanks for the tip (Ojamir) and all is working fine, just dont forget to replace the oil and antifreeze coolant that you lost.

Thank you for the help and direction from all above. Unfortunately, the representatives of the Parts Dept. at local dealerships don't understand that the part-number IS available for the O-Ring Gasket, and it can be purchased for < $5. Again, thanks to the help from those that posted prior, NoSuchSol in particular due to his link leading to my discovery of this info & part-number:

Mazda Part-Number: LF8X-14-702

For the early models that have the black oil cooler there's now a rubber O-ring( 2 ) # LF8X-14-702 LF8X-14-702-d.jpg that cures the well known leak. Once the cooler & oil filter housing are removed you'll want to clean all parts thoroughly, including the plastic OEM seal that requires removal of the old rubber seals so that when you reassemble it with the new O-rings (1 on each side) everything fits proper with a good seal.

Attachments

• IMG_0468.jpg
    IMG_0468.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 2,875
Last edited:
I don't know if my oil cooler is black (the car is at the shop and they are mean) I have a feeling its not......so where can I find a replacement gasket for the non-black oil cooler?
2009 Mazda CX-7

Can anyone verify that this part number is correct? I have a 2008 CX-7 with an oil leak and would like to purchase this part before I tare into into it. I have seen 2 diff seals online, one is a Dorman part the other is Mazda. My NAPA guy tells me neither are correct and Amazon has some reviews stating the same. My cooler is black.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

This forum is terrible. I see so many views when a person ask's a legitimate question and no replies are given....Blah.

Back