starting issues please help

tweety2300

:
2001 mazda protege mp3
So here's the story I got an 01 protege 2.0 130,000 miles. Past few weeks. When I go to start it itl click like I'm not pushing in the clutch but if u pull the lever to pop the hood it would sta right up. Now it didn't do it all the time but the battery was coroded so I replaced it it solved it for about a week and it started doing it again and has slowly gotten worse. And now even if I pop the hood it won't start even if I jiggle the wires I've even had to push start it a few times. I just checked all the connections and everything on the starter is fine. The starter is a 2 year old bosch so I don't think its bad my next guess is starter solenoid but I'm not 100% positive if its seperate from the starter or built into the starter. Anyone got any ideas? If its built into the starter does anybody know if bosch has a lifetime warrenty on their starters? Cause I don't wana spend 300 bucks on a starter/ spend 3 hrs or so pullin the starter off to have it tested and it still be good
Thanks for any input...even if it don't help :)

Not even opening completely just pulling the lever I think its just some weord coincidence...every time but ya that doesn't help anymore but I did get pissed off and slamed the hood shut earlier and it started up and a few clicks. And I probly should have mentioned earlier if you turn the key between start and ignition sometimes after a few clicks it start. The only way I can describe the click is go outside and try starting your car without pushing the clutch in and its the same thing

The solenoid is part of the starter, and it sounds like that's the problem. To be sure you can try the CarTalk method of diagnosing a faulty starter solenoid: next time is doesn't start, pop the hood and hit the solenoid (or anywhere on the starter assembly) with the end of a broom handle while someone holds the ignition in the "start" position. If that does the trick you need a new solenoid (but it makes more sense to just buy a new starter assembly).

Ok so it finally kept on doing it so I was able to listin to it the clicking is comeing from the dash not the starter its self why would it be doing this? Its coming from the passenger side dash

I'm having a similar problem, clicks and does not turn over. The clicking you hear from under the dash is probably a relay on the starter circuit. I hear it in my car also. I'm pretty sure its my starter solenoid going out, I guess I'll be replacing the starter also. :(

Any one got recommendations on good brands of replacement starters? or is it just better to stay OEM?

I've got a 3 yr old bosch and actually its not my starter aparently the terminal on the battery wasn't getting a connection and by poping the hood it would move the cable enough to get a better connection. I figured it out after it got so bad the alt wasn't charging the battery and I got stranded at work :( but problem solved just not enough time to do a permanent fix its just jerry rigged

For those getting the clicking sound, if you have an automatic, try starting it in neutral.
Mine does this from time to time.
I know when it is going to happen because the gear selector indicator on the dash will not have the square box around the "P" but will have it in "N".
This tells you that the Transaxle Selector Switch on the side of your tranny is not making contact.
Maybe popping your hood or opening the door is enough to have it make contact.
It also seems to be heat related.

No mines a stick and batt cables weren't the problem. Figured that one out today my starter is good and the batt is new so my guess is the sensor for the clutch if that's not it I'm gona go with ignition switch and if thts not it I'm gona be reporting an electrical fire to the insurance co. :)

Is there a wiring guide for dummys for our cars? I'm gona attempt to trace everything but a picture of all the wires and where and what they go to would be helpfull I've already looked at the guide on here and it just says what the colors do and that doesn't help me much. Basicly what I'm saying is is that I don't like doing electrical stuff so I've never bothered with it untill now because I have to. Btw I have a blue wire under my dash that comes through the firewall that llooks as if it was just cut off completely anybody know what that could be? I'm gona try to get a pic of it tomarow

Does anyone have a picture of where I can find the starter interlock switch? Mine started doing this too and I wanted to test the switch.

It looks like it lets the car know if the clutch is depressed or not. (01-19-2) Mine will still start up every once in a while, but it will die if I drive it anywhere.

Can't give a pick but its white and by the clutch pedal I had to remove it when I di the clutch master cyl. 2 10mm bolts I believe

Back