Carrier bearing problem = new transmission?

madslow

:
Mazdaspeed Protege 2003.5
Hey guys. I've been having a whirling/knocking noise ever since I got my MSP. It gets louder and faster as I accelerate, louder and slower as I decelerate, and just loud as I turn right and left. Anyways, I thought it was bad tires, so I changed the tires (they needed to be changed anyway). Noise was still there. Tire Works told me that it was my wheel bearing. Got a 2nd opinion and they said it was my carrier bearing. The 2nd opinion showed me something loose and shaking, right by the transmission and that the "transmission was eating the seal of the carrier bearing" or something like that. I don't understand what is going on. If anyone knows what IS going on please lmk. The 2nd opinion is telling me to just get a used tranny and everything with labor will cost 1500 to 1800 dollars. I just spent 600 on tires. Kill me now.

I really like the car but this tranny issue is killin me. Everything else is fine with the car but the noise is very annoying! Please HELP!

Not every day that you hear of carrier bearings going wrong. Do you know how to test to see if there is any play in the wheel bearings, not saying the carrier bearing is not bad but wheel bearings tend to crap out more often. You may have a diff bearing taking a crap also. Check Mazda for the carrier bearing as I am not sure that a regular parts store carries them. Someone else can confirm this.

Not every day that you hear of carrier bearings going wrong. Do you know how to test to see if there is any play in the wheel bearings, not saying the carrier bearing is not bad but wheel bearings tend to crap out more often. You may have a diff bearing taking a crap also. Check Mazda for the carrier bearing as I am not sure that a regular parts store carries them. Someone else can confirm this.

Thanks for replying! I researched on the forum before taking it to get checked. I did try to shake all wheels for any play. No play. I went to Discount Tire, Tire Works, and then the place where I go for oil changes. Discount told me it was my tires and I changed them, Wrong. Tire Works told me it was my wheel bearings, went to the place where I get my oil change and they said they lied and showed me no play on the wheels and then showed me where the carrier bearing is (which is right next to the transmission). Something was loose (which is supposedly the vibration sound) and then some seal in between the carrier bearing and the transmission was broken and looked all tore up. I'll try to get some pics. The sound is getting annoying though (boom06)

Well if its toasted, I would replace it and see if it fixes the problem. If it doesn't I would focus on the cv axles themselves. Good luck

super duper bump. did you ever get this issue resolved? just looking for more details. thanks

super duper bump. did you ever get this issue resolved? just looking for more details. thanks

Any updates here? Same problem... I'm about out of things that could be wrong and thinking diff/carrier bearing

i ended up changing my carrier bearing but it still made noise. i got the wheel bearing changed and my axle fell apart (boot was torn for about a month) when i took the hub out so i changed that too and it made my noise go away.

Back