2012 Mazda5

and still only 6 seats. at least a manual will still be offered. maybe it will get the 6 speed like the 3's.

the look is growing on me. i was just hoping they were delaying things so they could put one of the sky engines in it. 40mpg anyone?

Wow I cant believe how much I really dont like this new look...glad to see its getting the bigger engine but it only gains 4hp? That cant be right

Maybe they tuned for torque and better fuel economy?

Needs tint, and they couldn't figure out how to make the D pillar thinner?

Last edited:
For the sake of Mazda, I sure hope that is a misprint. The Mazda 3’s 2.5 makes 167 and the press number for the Mazda 5 is 157 (fat fingers?). Then again, I highly doubt the Mazda 5’s 2.5 will equal the output of the Mazda 3. Due to different exhaust layouts and sometimes minor variance in engine accessory components, the Mazda 5 will be detuned and produce less hp than the Mazda 3. That said, it could very well be 157 b/c it is detuned with more focus on torque and MPG as DKaz mentioned. Considering the Mazda 3 5 door gets (MT) 20/28 MPG and (AT) 22/29 MPG, if the same exact engine is used in the Mazda 5, it would result in lower MPG figures due to the added weight – not a good selling point for a MAV.

Other Mazda 2.5 outputs:
CX7’s 2.5 makes 161hp
Mazda 6 2.5 makes 168-170hp.

The lack of the 7th seat officially killed the deal for me; unless I come across a 2010 for a steal. Otherwise, Ford, here I come!

Last edited:
I take it back...it is like a difference of 3hp according to the press release for the 2009...It says the 3 has 156hp with 150 torque and the 5 has 153hp with 148 torque

Too bad. I might want to think about accelerating plans to get a 2010 Mazda 5 GT fully loaded with what I want... I saw a white pearl 08 or 09 GT with leather and 5 speed, no NAVI package, two child seats, looks so nice. So nice and so clean. That's exactly what I want, except with tint.

Last edited:
That hp figure must be wrong. 2.5L engines are now making 170-185 hp thanks to VVT. If this is to be a Sky engine, count on it making another 3-5% hp in addition thanks to DI.

Looks good, but 157hp and no "dual" exhaust a-la smaller brother? It better have a 6MT to say the least!

For the sake of Mazda, I sure hope that is a misprint. The Mazda 3’s 2.5 makes 167 and the press number for the Mazda 5 is 157 (fat fingers?). Then again, I highly doubt the Mazda 5’s 2.5 will equal the output of the Mazda 3. Due to different exhaust layouts and sometimes minor variance in engine accessory components, the Mazda 5 will be detuned and produce less hp than the Mazda 3. That said, it could very well be 157 b/c it is detuned with more focus on torque and MPG as DKaz mentioned. Considering the Mazda 3 5 door gets (MT) 20/28 MPG and (AT) 22/29 MPG, if the same exact engine is used in the Mazda 5, it would result in lower MPG figures due to the added weight – not a good selling point for a MAV.

Other Mazda 2.5 outputs:
CX7’s 2.5 makes 161hp
Mazda 6 2.5 makes 168-170hp.

The lack of the 7th seat officially killed the deal for me; unless I come across a 2010 for a steal. Otherwise, Ford, here I come!

The 2010's are being sold at great pricing right now......

Sports- $15xxxK
Touring-$17xxxK
GT-$18xxxK

I wish it weren't so ugly...the sides look like something from any of the Jaws movies... like driving a micro-mini shark...

Be aware that it is a concept, a lot of time for things to change.

When I got my CPW Mazda5 in 07 the rated HP was 157 @6500RPM this is what is written on the catalog for 2007 and previous year models. This is when a lot of people complained about the engine hesitation thing. When they did the engine reflash i swear it does not feel the same as before. Its now 153 HP against the 157 HP before the reflash, but the car handles smoother and better on gas. Before the reflash, my tires are always spinning unintentionally whenever I am merging into traffic shifting from 1st to 2nd and it wont stop unless i let go of the gas, this is with the stock Toyos.

Do you think you get 08+ gas mileage? I was kinda hesitant, no pun intended, on spending $69.99 for the reflash just for the hesitation problem (the TSB isn't recognized in Canada) but it'll be worth it for better fuel mileage.

So this is how the 08+ has better fuel economy?

Last edited:
Do you think you get 08+ gas mileage? I was kinda hesitant, no pun intended, on spending $69.99 for the reflash just for the hesitation problem (the TSB isn't recognized in Canada) but it'll be worth it for better fuel mileage.

So this is how the 08+ has better fuel economy?

I did the reflash on the 06 and it feels better, but still the 08 feels with more "oomph" when accelerating and is better on fuel by about one/two MPGs, so don't know, there might be more to it. The cars are about 11k miles in difference...

That looks more pre-production than concept if you ask. For example see the NA required corner reflection markers in front and tail lights and the typical NA lack of window tinting. The only thing I see missing is the 2nd row A/C controls (scratch)

WARNING, huge pics:

Exterior:
http://www.mazdausamedia.com/files/images/Mazda5-Exterior_0.JPG

Interior:
http://www.mazdausamedia.com/files/mazda_node_media/2012_mazda5_interior.jpg

Sorry, not a concept, nothing's changing. Mazda's previous press release that mentioned the Mazda 5 says the 2012 Mazda 5 will be on sale "early 2011". Also, the shown style is already in production outside of NA. It is what it is. I was soooo hoping for a SkyActiv engine (sad1) I do like the design, but without a large boost in fuel economy or power, I just don't see the incentive to fork out the extra cash over a 2010.

Its not a concept, its a car thats currently on sale. Its just not introduced in this market yet.

The HP is VERY disappointing if thats a true number. I was expecting lots more than that. I'm very glad I was able to get an 09, I dont like some features of the 10 and some of the deleted things too. In other news, I'm most disappointed by the decision of Chevy to not bring the Orlando to market, that looked really nice.

Back