2002 Protege5 396whp 373tq!!!

:
stock G15
I finally did it. After all the street tuning and data logging, busting my ass on this car and trying to figure s*** out. Well its finally STARTING to pay off.

I was able to gain 35hp and 40tq from my baseline. I really had no idea how much I was running and I actually thought I was closer to 300-350. The best part is knowing its right and I dont fear it as much.

The next thing to upgrade is the tranny. I get tons of wheel spin, so slicks would be wicked as hell. Now that the curve has been established, custom ratios can be determined a little better. It drives really nice, idles good right at 800rpm and is all being done on pump gas. No nitrous, no meth. So I am quite happy.

500whp is going to be the ultimate goal. Maybe I will have a chance to build the trans over winter??

Dyno396whp373tq.jpg

Dyno396whp373tqdata.jpg

p5baywithnewSSPStank.jpg

1273864297264.jpg

DSC02072.jpg

dam nice goin. cant wait to see some times i hope you know you have to make a list of all your mods and setup

Last edited:
awesome man, hopin to be right up there with u. good job though. nice fuel cell. are u bagged?

Holy hell those are some nice numbers!

Judging by the side shot of the car, it has to be bagged to tuck that much.... or no springs, but that wouldn't be drivable (rofl2)

read mod list in his sig lol yea he's bagged

and ******* great numbers man, maybe a mod list in the first post?

edit: woops, he must have changed his sig...used to have mod list in it

Awesome job man :) !!! Was the wb sensor in the tailpipe making it read +1 lean...I hope or my shooting for 12afrs looks silly. Also how much boost and youre 9.1:1 right?

read mod list in his sig lol yea he's bagged

and ******* great numbers man, maybe a mod list in the first post?

edit: woops, he must have changed his sig...used to have mod list in it

i know better. but it was still kinda a dumb question seeing the air take and the ride height.

and to signaturesound, good job on all the relocation, tucking and just plain out removing whatever u could to clean up ur engine bay.

Holy crap guys! Thank You. It really makes it all worth it. The really stupid thing about it all is the time frame of how it got done. I had less than 3 weeks to do it because I took a job in PA. That included building the motor, tucking wires, making the fuel cell holder, relocating battery, ripping out the whole fuel system.... blah blah.... sorry. Anyway during the whole thing, I realized just how much is NOT made for the car. The little things that go un-noticed, the sleepless nights obsessing, and so on are really what make it special to me. I like that there are a TON of secrets too ha ha...

With all the things that I have done, there are still a few items that need to be fabricated and things I regret not doing. I wish I would have had the pistons coated, the crank butcher edged and the head "built". The things that will be done soon are upgrading my rear section to a custom Signature Sound 3" exhaust, water to air intercooler AFTER the air to air intercooler and a paint job. The paint job comes last since thats what I know best (f'd up right?).

The trunk looks like hell in the photos. I had to weld in some major strapping to reinforce the strut towers. The paint is a combo of manganesed phosphalene #7, black pigment and flattening powder. If all goes well, it should keep the rust from wreaking havok back there. When its done, you wont see any of it.

(hahaspit)(shocked)(omg) 3 weeks??????????? that is insane i hope u know you are now required to tell us what went on during those 3 weeks cause i doubt it involed sleeping and congrats on the job

Last edited:
nice job man! Now for the real questions... mod list? and how much do you think you've dumped into it so far not including the car? lol

Awesome job man :) !!! Was the wb sensor in the tailpipe making it read +1 lean...I hope or my shooting for 12afrs looks silly. Also how much boost and youre 9.1:1 right?

we found optimum smoothing with the fuel this way. when I tried to go more rich, it was breaking up real bad. The sensor was placed about 6 inches just after the v-band. I spiked around 180kpa (~26psi) on a few runs, but it was set to 160kpa (23psi). My pistons are 9:1 ratio but with the thick as hell cometic, it drops it .25:1 making me approx 8.75:1. I had absolutely no detonation problems at all. I turned the J&S sensitivity ALL the way up while we tuned. Once the fuel was dialed in the high load and high RPM's, we started adding timing just until it was lighting up.

I had to leave the dyno early. There was power still to be made!!! If you notice on the graph, the torque was not even starting to drastically fall off yet and the HP was still climbing. I dont have double valve springs and kick ass retainers in my head, so I was not revving past 6500. I think it would have been able to go well into the 400's if I had more time to tune. The GT3071R really loves the top end. I thought I was spooled around 3500, but its closer to 4000 to 4500.

great to hear brian!!! you never told me you getting dynotuned soon.... get all of your stuff straightened out that you need to refabricate such as the exhaust and all, build the tranny, go back and make 550whp and paint it!!! This guy and p5 has been my inspiration for a while and hopefully mine will be ready by JAN for some track days

Back