Airbag Warning Light Flashing

switz

:
2008 Mazda5 GT 5-spd manual
I'm not sure where I should post this, but since the flashing warning light on the dash is electronic itself I figured this was the section to post this thread.

Yeah, I started my '08 this morning and the red airbag light on the dash didn't go out. It is flashing. Two long flashes followed by three quick flashes. Then it waits and does it all over again. Anyone know what this is all about?

I'm out of warranty (102,500km), but I will be going in to the city to see the dealer on account of the power steering fix that they need to do once they have the parts in. I can get Mainway in Saskatoon to look at the flashing light then, but I wondered if anyone knew what that specific flashing means.

Any ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.

For what it is worth, I looked in my 2006 Mazda5 FWM, and the "2-3" Blink Code is = DTC B1055 , Which refers to the Passenger side airbag. however since the blink codes can be hard to decipher, the true DTC code from an OBDII code reader would help us help you more.

Has anything changed on the car recently? Such as work done on the car, damage to the car, rain, anything odd you can think of?

Most, if not all auto parts stores will now connect a reader and read your ODBII code for free.

Last edited:
before you do anything, when the light came on, were you transporting something small on the passenger seat and used the seatbelt to secure it from moving around? Because this will cause the passenger airbag light to go on

When mine does this it's usually because there is something under the passenger seat. If I move the seat forward or back it frequently clears up. There's also a plug under the seat that I can wiggle some to make it go away.

No, it hasn't been rained on, I haven't done anything to the car, and I didn't have something sitting on the passenger seat. All I did was park the car the night before, and the next morning it was blinking.

So I called Mainway Mazda in Saskatoon and they said that it might be a loose connection somewhere and that the worst case senario is that the air bag won't deploy in an accident. Not good. I started the car up yesterday and the light's not blinking anymore. No sense taking it in and having them fix something that's not broken. Grrrr.

I did have a pop bottle under the front passenger seat that I have done nothing with except turn corners and have it roll around. Perhaps I'll take a peek under the seat when it's light out. Thanks Rocket.

Mazda 5 Blinking Airbag light

Mazdadudue - my airbag light is blinking in a 4 long, 2 short pattern. do you know what that means? I've moved all of the seats back and forth and it isn't related to whether something is sitting on a seat. I just bought this car used and no warranty (mad)

For what it is worth, I looked in my 2006 Mazda5 FWM, and the "2-3" Blink Code is = DTC B1055 , Which refers to the Passenger side airbag. however since the blink codes can be hard to decipher, the true DTC code from an OBDII code reader would help us help you more.

Has anything changed on the car recently? Such as work done on the car, damage to the car, rain, anything odd you can think of?

Most, if not all auto parts stores will now connect a reader and read your ODBII code for free.

FYI - OBD readers that auto parts stores use don't pull anything but 'P' (powertrain) trouble codes, not 'B' (body) ones.

Hello I found this thread on google trying to read my code from the car I just bought today, used. Happy to get it going and there's a few codes I need to decipher, but this is one of them floating on the dash board. I think in *MY* case it's a little different and a different cause - the seat belt buckle is broken on the driver side (It appears I am getting the 3 long 2 short code but I hope I didn't get it backwards!) so I wonder if this is throwing off / up the airbag warning?

Hello I found this thread on google trying to read my code from the car I just bought today, used. Happy to get it going and there's a few codes I need to decipher, but this is one of them floating on the dash board. I think in *MY* case it's a little different and a different cause - the seat belt buckle is broken on the driver side (It appears I am getting the 3 long 2 short code but I hope I didn't get it backwards!) so I wonder if this is throwing off / up the airbag warning?

Hi,
you are posting in a wrong forum this is for Mazda 5, not pretege.
But in general, replace the buckle first and reset the computer prior to any more troubleshooting.

Back