2008 CX9 replacement smart card

New owner of 2008 CX9 and we only received 1 smart card key. Dealer wants over $500 for additional key and programming!

Are there any alternatives to this high cost from a dealer? We would like a spare smart card key but at $500 that's pretty excessive.

Thank you in advance,

M

I bought mine off of Ebay for around $70. I luckily had two working smart keys, so I was able to program it myself. Since you only have 1, you will still need to have the dealer program it.

If you buy from eBay, please make sure that
1) you get the right one
2) you get a brand new one

The problem is that if you only have one working key, the dealer may not want to program a key
you bought from eBay (in general, elsewhere). They most likely only program one that is bought from them directly.
So, I would suggest that, do some cross-shopping among all nearby dealers and get the lowest price (part + programming).

If you have two working keys, you certainly can program a third one yourself.

Now that I think of it......With Two CX-9 and Two CX-7 smart keys, do you think I should be able to program my CX-9 smart card to operate my wife's CX-7? and visa versa???

This might be really convenient to use my key/card on her car instead of digging up her spare....thoughts? This won't disable either of my two will it?

SeCX-9,
You know my wife has a Prius, which has SmartKey system also (but from Tokai-Rika, not Denso like our CX9's).
On Prius, many people have tried and failed because the Key actually remembers a "Smart Code" inside the key.
The Smart Code is from the vehicle's ECU (unique code for each SmartKey system). You can't program the key for
another vehicle until you reset it (take $$$ to do so). Once you reset it for the second vehicle, it loses the "memory"
to talk to the 1st one. Therefore, no one has made it work on Prius' Tokai-Rika system.
On CX9, no one seems to have tried it. Want to be the 1st?
The Smart Code issue is also the reason not to buy an used one from e-Bay. On a Prius, you still can program it
half way, meaning, you can't use it remotely. You have to stick the Key fob into the key hole to start the engine.
All the "SmartKey" functions do not work properly.

Ceric....Hmmmm

That's what I am wondering is if the ECU memorizes the RFID of the key, or if the ECU actually transmits a security code to program the remote key foble....I'm thinking not but....not sure I want to spend $500 to fix a screwup on my part.. Her CX-7 is under warranty, so maybe I can just say it stopped working....

Anything in the tech manual on this?
Maybe I'll call a dealer.....(Not mine so in case I need to bring it in)

SeCX-9,
I think it is both. The ECU definitely memorizes the RFID. I am sure of that. I saw related descriptions in WorkShop manual.
On a Prius, apparently, the key also memorizes the ID of the ECU. Not sure about CX9's system.

For those of you who need another "smart" ignition card, buying from a ebay seller is OK but just know that most of them are used with no guaranty that they work. I have purchased two cards from the same seller, remotes.inc , and one of those died soon after I got it programmed by the dealer near me. The first one has lasted over two years with only a new battery needed after more than a year and a half. Be very careful about exactly what you are purchasing! Some cards are only the case WITHOUT the electronics inside! If you still have the hard mechanical key, it will get you by in a pinch.

My used speed6 came with only 1 smart key & I paid about $300 for a new key from the dealer & $65 to program it. So about $400. There's no other way around it if you only have 1 key. You'll need the dealer to program it.
I thought about buying off of eBay, but for ~$100 or more, I didn't want to risk buying one DOA, so just bit the bullet & got it from the dealer.
Try finding coupons for 10% parts from the dealer to help with the cost of the card.
GL

I just replaced my missing 2008 CX9 Smartcard with a used replacement from Remotes Inc. Contact John at remotesinc@gmail.com

Had a few minor glitches but in the end the experience was gratifying and I would recommend them.

Emergency key has been cut locally and the smartcrd and key synced at my dealer for under $50

I bought mine on amazon and its a little more to pay than ebay but it works and its brand new with a blank key and a battery. I bought one to replace a fob on my 07 cx9. Coz the button is all gone from pressing by the previous owner.

I've bought 2 on ebay, and the only reason I had a problem with one is because the local service retard manager dropped it on the concrete floor from 4 feet right in front of me.
Key is to make sure the seller has really good photos of the cardkey, and yes, NEW is prefered.

I am having Mazda CX9 2008 with 2 Mitsubishi Smart Card Keys with 3 bottoms; Lock, Unlock and Trunk Open. Can any one advise from where I can buy same? Regards.

I am having Mazda CX9 2008 with 2 Mitsubishi Smart Card Keys with 3 bottoms; Lock, Unlock and Trunk Open. Can any one advise from where I can buy it.

I am having Mazda CX9 2008 with 2 Mitsubishi Smart Card Keys with 3 bottoms; Lock, Unlock and Trunk Open. Can i use key 4 button key (lock, unloacl, trunk and panic) instead.

Hello,

I have a 2009 Mazda CX9 that has the credit card size (slim-line) keyless remote. Both keyless remotes are in the process of failing apart and many buttons on each remote have stopped working. I have tried replacing the battery and that does nothing. So, I was wondering if anyone knows what my options might be to replace the keyless remotes?

I talked to my local Mazda dealership and this is what I found out:

1) It would cost $472 per keyless remote to purchase and to have programed.
2) I could bring in my own keyless remotes that I purchase somewhere to have programed and that would be $145 per remote. They would still charge the price even if they are unable to program the remotes I bring in.
3) They also told me...that I would have to stick with the same style of keyless remote (credit card/slim-line) and that switching to a different style (switch blade type or something else) was not an option because it wouldn't work.

It should be a crime to charge that much for either one of those two options.

I was wondering if anyone knows:

1) Is it true that I would not be able to use a different style of smart key on my 2009 CX9 other than the crappy credit card style keyless remote?
2) Any links to good places to buy replacement smart keys?
3) Do all Mazda dealers charge the same for this service?

Thanks for the help!

I had a smart card for my mazda and for some reason it stopped working. Instead of paying over 300 dollars to get it fixed I decided that I would rather just get a regular car key that I could reliably start my car with. I ended up buying something like this off of ebay. This is the emergency key that used to go inside of my smart card. Because it has a key ring I can just put it on my car keys and not have to worry about it anymore.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Back