Ultimate Racing Exhaust

skatethesea

:
2010 Speed 3
I recently purchased the Ultimate Racing test pipe and cat back exhaust. The install was very difficult due to my lack of tools and no car lift. I had a low profile jack. So the car wasnt that high off the ground. The section that went over the rear axel was the hardest portion to remove and install. The secondary cat was the easiest. An impact wrench and car lift would have turned this into a two hour ordeal, but it ended up being six hours total time.

The Good:

1.) The sound is amazing. There is not a single thing that sounds ricey about this exhaust. It is a rich deep tone at full or partial throttle. At idle you dont even know the car is on if you are listening to music. While cruising at 70mph in 6th gear you can hear it, but the drone is minimal and not anything that would make you speak up to a passenger.

2.) The exhaust tips really fill in the empty space in the rear bumper left by the stock exhaust. It is a perfect fit. And it looks amazing.

3.) After you get it in, you will see that it is a perfect fit! You can tell that there was a lot of R&D put into it. Though while tryin to get it in you wonder if you even bought the right exhaust. lol

4.) The price is right. Compared to Corksport and other exhaust systems this is the best bang for your buck. (sorry CS, I love your products, but this is true) The butt dyno definitely registered a lot of extra torque and a smoother power delivery. The power under the curve has been improved and Im sure the dyno will prove this.

The Bad:

1.) This was the worst install job I have dealt with. It has nothing to do with Ultimate Racing. It is just the design of the car. It was a real pain in the ass.

2.) The tips and axle back exhaust are loose. They rattle and bang against the bumper which becomes annoying. My friends dont notice it. But as a self proclaimed enthusiast, I notice every noise emminating from my car and this one is very noticeable.

3.) There were zero directions included in this kit. Its not hard to figure out how it goes together, but it would of been easier to have directions then to have to figure it out on my own.

4.) I have seen better welds.... The welds are good, but not great. I doubt they will fail or break, but I have seen better welds on some of my S2000 exhausts systems including HKS.

I will post pics and video on Monday. If you have any questions let me know. I get pretty intimate with my car this weekend so I should be able to answer them. I also am now going to be buying a front and mid under chassis brace since I dont feel that the stock ones are rigid enough. Too thin!

DSC_0249-1.jpg

DSC_0255.jpg

DSC_0275.jpg

stock exhaust
DSC_0274.jpg

ultimate racing
DSC_0281.jpg

cold start with a little revving. I will get more video when I have someone to hold the camera.

Last edited:
Subbing for pics.

Also, I don't know if the second gens share similar suspension components as the first gens but if they do, there is a group buy going on right now for suspension parts with great prices. Link is in my sig.

Though I would love to get the suspension reenforcements right now! I cannot. I have already dropped $2700 this month on parts. So I cannot do much else to the car for the next couple of months. I still have coilovers, TWM shifter kit, and TPM sway bars in the mail. But I will def keep this in mind. Even without the GB the prices are pretty damned good.

Agree with most, did not get the test pipe, I have the cobb dp waiting to be installed. I like the sound, like the look, install was easy paid the shop 50 and did not have to screw with it.

I have had this on since Feb, checked the connections again today as I was changing out the RSB bushings (non-greasable for greasable). All connections were still solid.

Canadian welding was questionable, inspected this also, looked okay with no rust forming.

Did you notice any change in the soot that ends up on the back of the car with the new exhaust? It looks like the design of the tip is different and I wonder if there is any change in turbulence or air flow which would affect how much soot ends up on the rear bumper and hatch.

I agree the welds aren't the best looking.... the welder was moving too fast when he created that weld in the pic.

Been a hot minute since the install. So now that I am used to it, the sound is awesome. Still hasnt gotten on my nerves and it is just short of the STI with a Greddy TI-c exhaust on. But you can definitely hear the difference in the lesser aggressive cams of the Mazda. But it still sounds mean. The soot is still there. Just as rich as before. The Dyno showed 10.0 afr from during WOT, so no change there. need me some AP action.

Bringing this thread back from the dead for an update? How's the exhaust treating you? I was considering getting the UR Axleback, but for a little bit more, you can grab the full CBE!

Well, in short, I ended up getting a lot of movement with this exhaust. It was banging around under the chassis every time I even moved. So I cut it into pieces and had a custom single exit fabricated from its remains. As of now I love it. haha.

I had that problem with my 1st Gen and the MSCBE. The pipe connected to the exhaust tip was banging against the frame. It'd drive me nuts when ever I'd hit bumps.

Yeppers. That was the issue. So I bend the heat shields and trimmed them a bit to keep them out of the way and got a longer and firmer hanger bushing for the tail pipe so it would bang so much. I still get the occasional bang or rattle, but its WAY better than before. I think an upgraded motor mount would help to. That should be next on my list. But god knows I want more horsepower before i want a non rattling exhaust.

What makes me wonder, if the UR exhaust is heavier, that makes it move? I know they advertise it's lighter but who knows? For essentially stock fitment, it shouldn't bang around.

I think it has to do with the design and the fact that they dont use all the hangers available. They leave two open under the car and i think that allows for more movement. I slapped on the MODE racing hanger bushings and it helped but didnt cure the situation.

I think it has to do with the design and the fact that they dont use all the hangers available. They leave two open under the car and i think that allows for more movement. I slapped on the MODE racing hanger bushings and it helped but didnt cure the situation.

Wow I didn't know that! Are they just not using some hangers near the rear muffler? Or throughout the entire exhaust system?

They use them through out the entire system. But the stock exhaust utilizes two more hangers. Hence being more stable. But I think a lot of it has to do with the motor mounts being weak also.

Latest posts

Back