AC turning on randomly

planefreak

:
Mazda, Protege5
It's summertime and it's hot, so the AC is being used quite often. Recently, I've noticed that when I turned the temp selector to cold, put the position to my feet, and turn the fan on the air conditioning comes on. The switch isn't on but it turns on anyway. Is this normal?

It's summertime and it's hot, so the AC is being used quite often. Recently, I've noticed that when I turned the temp selector to cold, put the position to my feet, and turn the fan on the air conditioning comes on. The switch isn't on but it turns on anyway. Is this normal?

Maybe... I know there are a couple modes that force the AC on regardless of the AC switch position. I'm sure that it comes on when you've selected one of the two defroster modes, not sure about the "just feet" mode. There's a howto to remove this feature somewhere, you'll have to find it.

Yes, this is normal. Any time the defrost mode is used it'll kick the AC on (with the the fresh air mode as a default). There is a How-To on disabling this. Not too hard:

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55382

Floor position also turns on the AC. It was explained to me when I bought the car that AC w/ Floor helps dry out the floor area during rain & snow.

The only non-AC positions are Vent and Vent+Floor.

Back