A/C and wet floor mat

gjconker

Hot hot day, a lot of time in slow traffic. A/C on max and the right side passenger floor mat is soaked. Anyone else have this problem? Any clues on how to fix?

Thanks in advance!

Greg

Had a friend who's Volvo did this. I think it was a cracked condenser housing. The water that should be drained outside under the engine compartment was draining under the dash.

Now's a good time to use your warranty or find the best automotive A/C only shop in the area.

The evaporator drain is probably clogged. Leaves and dirt get in and clog the drain. You can try removing the glove box and opening the black HVAC box and blowing it out with compressed air. Or you can take it to a good mechanic and have him do it. Be prepared to spend $60-200 for labor depending on the labor rate and how hard it ends up being to clean. Good luck.

Classic clogged evaporator drain symptom.

There's a clear-ish tube on the engine side of the firewall that is the drain tube for it. If you can get to the top end of it that goes into the firewall, you may be able disconnect it to suck out the clog at the fitting by simply placing the end of a shop vac hose onto it.

This information is incorrect. Had to inspect mine recently. The clear drain tube I was referring to is for the cowl drain that's below the windshield. The evaporator drain is accessible if you remove the snap-on cover at your left foot of the passenger side floor board. Little black rubber tube about 3 inches long.

Last edited:
I know this thread is old, but I'd like some help on this issue. I have a clogged drain tube in my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3. The water is dripping out of the evaporator tube near the passenger foot well. Where the tube connects to the body, it is leaking water.

Can someone PLEASE let me know (with pictures if possible) how to unclog this?

I've searched multiple forums and all over the internet (and the service manual) with no real help on HOW to unclog. People recommend unclogging and do not explain how. I cannot locate the tube in the engine side of the firewall either. Pictures of this would be very helpful. Thank you.

You have to get underneath the car behind the heat shield where the firewall curves around the drive shaft. Bend the heat shield slightly, you will see a white plastic AC drain hole about a half inch wide flush mounted to undercarriage closer to driver's side. I had to use a floor jack and jack stand for safety! Once I located the AC drain hole I used compressed air (my 2 gallon air compressor) to shoot a burst of air through the drain hose. Get ready to get soaked, about a gallon and a half drained out after blasting air through the AC drain hose. Use the following link as reference https://www.ericthecarguy.com/faq/s...oblems?start=5#WaterorSwishingNoiseinYourDash
I just did it moment ago and it worked!

Back