Remote start/keyless entry range?

bryanj87

:
2010 Mazda5
So I had the dealer install a remote starter on my new 5. It's an Audiovox and uses the Mazda keyless entry button to start. It seems the range for both starting the car and locking/unlocking the doors sucks. Anyone else have a setup like this and if so what sort of range are you getting? I need to be about 20 feet with no metal obstructions (like other cars or a metal building). I had great range in my MZ3.

Try holding the key fob to your head. The range will double. Don't ask how it works... cause I dunno. But it does. wierest thing.

Probably gives you brain cancer, so be careful.

^Haha @ Brain Cancer...

I don't get much better than 20-30 feet range with keyless either. I wonder where the antenna is located as that makes a huge difference on range. Maybe it could be relocated as long as it's not internal to the BCM, then it would have to be opened up to mod.

I installed an aftermarket remote start on a previous vehicle, and the range was about 200ft with the antenna hidden in the dash, not up on the windshield like suggested. They claimed like 1500ft, but I'm not a fan of installing a bunch of stuff on the windshield.

The range of this thing is pathetic.

I bought mine with a dealer-installed unit that comes with a Mazda manual (not claiming its a Mazda part though). Anyway, I can park in the very, very back of a huge Meijer (like Walmart but not a nasty hellhole) parking lot, push the button in the very back of the store, and it will be running when I get out there. I would guess that 1,500 ft is achievable. I'm very impressed. Maybe you guys should look into getting an antenna like the one they use at the dealer.

Thanks for the replies. I've tried the trick of holding the fob to my head or chin and got a small increase in range. I've also tried using the google to find where the antennae is for the system but had no luck yet.

Back