Megasquirt 2 EMS Guide for FS-DE 98+

Im trying to eliminate the mafia though... Im going to try using a resistor between the signals... Or a pyrometer. .. Should allow me to have a "voltage" there to activate the alt and the ecu should see a maf there even if it isn't.

I should be getting my setup this week. So when i am finished building my motor i can wire it up. I really really am hoping it starts first try.. After priming. Is done and all.

The ECU will run even if there is no MAF there. It needs to see cam and crank sensors for sure.

yeah, the ecu should charge it no problem.

theres no sense in spending all that time riggin up something, when the easiest way is to just replace the alt.

if you want to keep the stock ECU and delete the MAF you will have to deal with the MIL being on.

if you want to keep the stock ECU and pass emissions you will need to have the MAF installed

for those that have built their own megasquirt or know about assembly, can you please look at the attached photos to see if mine is wired correctly for the fsde application. it was built originally for a edis setup. if it is not correct for my p5, what do i need to change or add. thanks

also, can anyone tell me what mods these are on the bottom of the board?

-There is a wire going from tachselect to xg1 which is empty on the other side.
-Wire from IAC 1B to proto area which is attached to some cylinder black and gray tube, and a transistor which is attached to another point on the proto area and a point in the GND. The other side of the gray tube is attached to another one alike it in the 115 spot.
-Wire from c30 to s12c which isnt attached to anything else.
-Wire from JS2 to resistor on proto area which is attached to another point on the proto area.
-Wire from IGN to the top side of D14 which has a resistor which is attached to r24.

Last edited:
hey i was just reading the MS manuals. if at TDC the crank sensor is sitting at the 8th actual tooth from the missing tooth, then "Tooth #1 angle (deg BTDC)" needs to be 70 not 80. since it's looking for tooth number #1 angle. tooth #1 is the first actual tooth after the missing tooth.

i'll double check this weekend with a timing light.

so if this is true than that means my base timing has been retarded 10 degrees. which would explain why i couldn't get my idle advance below 25 degrees. and my coolant temp hangs around in the 150's F unless i sit and idle long enough then it starts to climb.

EDIT: for reference http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2-Extra_Miss_Tooth.htm

Last edited:
For anyone running a v3.0 board, can you please snap a couple shots inside the board so I can get this thing together? Thanks

AHH I need some help... blah.. I have a ms 2 SMB 3.57 board... I need to wire in the 2 step and launch controls.. when looking at all the instructions i am just baffeled..... does this setup come with it all prewired? pin 36 is for tps ( i think ) could that just control it from the get go?

the SMD 3.57 board does not have a proto area so you will have to build a daughter card to use as your proto area if you want to add options like launch control. then make jumper connections of the proto board to the 3.57 main board. if you are not very, very good at soldering you are better off having some one do it for you. surface mount components are very small, and their pins are even smaller. so if you do not have experiance or the proper tools to solder surface mount components you will just mess it up.

the SMD 3.57 board does not have a proto area so you will have to build a daughter card to use as your proto area if you want to add options like launch control. then make jumper connections of the proto board to the 3.57 main board. if you are not very, very good at soldering you are better off having some one do it for you. surface mount components are very small, and their pins are even smaller. so if you do not have experiance or the proper tools to solder surface mount components you will just mess it up.

so in other words.... send it back and get a version 3.0?

so in other words.... send it back and get a version 3.0?

not at all, you can install the options on the 3.57 board. it just takes more work. you can send it in for them to do the upgrades if you want.

how did you order it? brand new? unless you specified for them to add the launch control options then you don't have it. if you did specify then it's already done and you just need to wire up the clutch switch then activate it in tunerstudio or megatune.

Im running msI v3.0. It was originally set up to run ford edis ignition. I just wanted to see what I need to remove and add for it to run the coil packs on the protege

ok, IIRC EDIS is a lot different hardware set-up than most normal configs. you are going to have to go through the whole V3.0 assembly guide and get everything back to the basic set-up.

make sure it's set up for VR sensor, and high impedance injectors. for the ignition output you will build the same circuits to run the coils off of D14 and D16 you will not be using the coil driver transistor.

you also need to find out what firmware you are going to run. the regular B&G firmware. or the MS extra firmware. extra firmware has the hardware set up slightly different.

you might as well upgrade to MSII. the MSII daughter card is $90. just pull out the MSI processor chip, make a couple jumper connections, then drop in the MSII daughter card where the MSI processor chip went

this is the V3 assembly guide for MSII. http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/V3assemble.htm

What extra capabilities will the msIi daughter card give me?
thanks again for all of your help

ok... well I didnt specify what I wanted... SOOOO...... I need to research some more to find the schematics to install it... I just want to say thank you for pointing me in the right direction... :)

is the ms 2 daughter board the same on 3.0 as well as 3.57 ? ( i think it is just the main board that is different right? )

yup it's the same daughter board.

the difference between the 3.0 and the 3.57 SMD is that with the 3.57 surface mount the majority of the components are surface mount and are already installed. it's already setup with the basic options, you just select with jumper pins or by soldering wires. and a couple of the popular mods are already added to the 3.57 board, like PWM idle valve control. where as in the 3.0 board you need to do the mod yourself.

read the differences here
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/megasquirtii-ems-system-smd-pcb357-black-case-p-171.html

Anyone have the ecu wires for install?? I've found most of the wires... I need the negative pulse wire for the fuel (I'm trying to use just the ecu connections as to not having wires everywhere if possible)

does the launch control go to the cruise control negative switched input??
Also is the launch control circuit cross wired with the tps. Via a pyrometer (adjustable 10k 75 watt adjustable) or is It internally activated when the clutch is in from the launch control wore being grounded. And the megasquirt uses the tps signal already coming in??

for launch control you need to build the circuit on the board first. i can't remember which one i did, i think i did the ground activated circuit, then hooked the input wire to the 12V side of the cruise control switch. i have not tested launch control yet so i don't know if this works, but it should.

that input wire and circuit is all that is needed for launch control. everything else is done through the settings of megasquirt. the reason why you need the circuit is because the processor can only handle 5V. so the circuit just takes the 12V input and sends 5V to the processor

use the same ignition circuit diagram for the 3.57 board. spark A is the negative side of LED 14, and spark B is the neg side of LED 16

also just a heads up to everyone already running megasquirt. i was reading a post over on turbomiata forum, the older miata's use the same ignition output we do. well one guy improved it by adding transistors so that when you first power on the megasquirt, it won't charge the coils causing an ignition pop if some of you have that problem. it has to do with the bootup lag of the processor. and IIRC if you use the circuit you no longer have to unplug your coils when doing anything that the instructions say to do so, like flashing the firmware. i'm gonna have to find the diagram

Last edited:
Ok so... I have to redo my ignition maybe... I duno yet.. But I Will build the circuit tonight.

I do need a diagram for iac. Control.. Maybe if I cant find one ill leave it to the stock ecu..my engine is dune being built so it is going in this week.. And the testing begins...

I did my ignition tion a little different... I bought the second Bosch driver thing and installed it on q16 per the directions. So hopefully it works... If not.. Ill be removing it and installing it on the led thingy..

Back