Megasquirt 2 EMS Guide for FS-DE 98+

XoX1de

:
2000 Mazda 626 LX
Megasquirt 2 Official guide for FS-DE engine

Before going into detail about MS2 engine management system, I would like to introduce myself a little bit, I'm student and I've been graduated from college in electronic engineering recently, I will continue my studies in university, but this time I will be in mecanical engineering. English is my 3rd language and I still gotta alot to learn, so its perfectly normal if you find errors. Anyway, first thing first, before MSing your car, you have to ask yourself 3 questions: if you answer no on one of these questions, then you better FORGET the idea do to it yourself, and find someone who can.

- Are you ready to give your car down time?
- Do you know all the function on a basic multimeter?
- Is your car clean?

Ok lets keep going, downtime is normal, 90% of first MS2 timers failed at first start, my car was down for only one day, because I did everything correctly first time. Only problem I encountered was a corrupt firmware, and I found it out after like 3 hours of researching. Don't be scared that you ****** things up, you shouldnt, unless you do something really stupid like giving the chip a 12v on random pin and you saw sparks...

Megasquirting your car needs basic electronic skills, you need to know how to weld wires, split wires, and KNOWING your wiring harness, not by heart, but be able to identify.

The last question seems funny but when I say clean, I mean you have no garbage inside your car, on the floor, you must not GHETTO rig stuff, common sense right? Those people who think it works, and its fine, thats not enough. It must be working, and it must be clean. If you only want it to be functional and cleaness is not important, MS2 is not for you.

MS2 can be purchased online and its the least expensive standalone EMS you can get, I assembled mine, but I STRONGLY suggest you buy one pre-assembled by Pro.
I will not teach you how to solder and stuff like that, and all the part where they go, theres a guide on MS official website (http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/V3assemble.htm) If you feel skillful enough, DIY from scratch like me, but if it goes wrong, please do NOT ask me to help, I will ignore.

dkarthik wrote a detailed guide on how to assemble MS2 yourself. I attached the pdf below.

When you buy your MS2 preassembled, the seller should asks you few question about the ignition stuff and fuel injection stuff, they will assemble the ECU to make it working on your cars specification. If they are not asking, you must to tell them the following spec:

For protege 01-03 inlcuding msp

*Coil on plug 1 coil for 2 cylinders
*high impedance injectors
*VR crank sensor

The image follow is how you need to wire inside your MS2 device if you assemble it by yourself, or you can show it to seller to let him configure.
Courtesy from dkarthik:

attachment.php

In my case im using a coilpack , because it comes stock with 98+ 626, basically its same type of setup, wasted spark, MS2 DIY kit comes with one coil driver, you need to have 2. Ask seller to add one.

Installing into your car:

If you want to run it as full standalone, you can completely remove all the emission stuff, and even the MAF sensor. You are replacing your OEM ECU to MS2, OBD2 port will no longer be working, and the car will not pass emission.

Here's a schematic of wiring,

RSA_V3-WIRING_Super420A.gif

You need find and cut following wires, connect just like the schematic, some wires are not need to be found like the 12V+ to injectors, as stock wiring should already be like that:

4 injector wires,1-2-3-4. ECU ground them to make them squirt, MUST wire 1 & 4 as Bank 1, 2 & 3 as Bank 2. This is essential to make car run smooth.

2 TPS wires, one 5V from ECU and other is the signal from TPS

2 CrankSens wires, I guess the polarity doesnt matter.

1 Fuelpump wire, when you ground the wire FP activate.

1 CoolantT wire, this is the wire you feed to ECU to show the TEMP of coolant

1 Air IntakeT wire, same as above but for air intake temperature.

1 FAN wire, when you ground this wire, you activate your radiator fan, this is the general output wire, I remember I set one of the Step Motor Wire as fan relay command.

1 IAC wire, since I do not use IAC valve, I cant tell which wire it is, but our car uses PWM valve. which have 2 wires.

1 Oxygen sensor wires, if you have wideband then wire your WB controller to MS2, otherwise find the stock narrowband signal wire.

3 sensor wires, TPS, IAT, ECT.You ground all the sensor ground wire on the same spot, usually its already done by OEM, to PIN 18-19 on MS2. Black triangle symble.

2 coil wires, since im not running COP I cant help much on that one. Wasted spark coilpack use 2 coil drivers, one for cyl 1&4 and one for 2&3

1 Tach wires, I connected mine to one of the coil signal wire

1 ECU power ground, usually black wires

1 ECU swtching +12V power wire

*Optional: 1 launch control wire

Now you completed the wiring, make sure you fix you MS2 to the chassis or somewhere that not allowing it to move when you drive your car.

Next step is download the software and firmware that configure your MS2:

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/

Firmware 2.1.0 is the lastest best release IMO

http://www.efianalytics.com/TunerStudio/

Tunerstudio software, I suggest you guys pay instead because you will have the extra autotune function in real time, for fuel. Wideband required.

Attachments

• Megasquirt circuit building guide for FSDE.pdf
    414.2 KB · Views: 1,592
Last edited:
Ignition Settings:

Our car use VR crank and cam sensor, by installing MS2 standalone, your cam sensor is no longer needed. So we are using single wheel with missing tooth.

98+ FSDE engine use trigger wheel with one missing tooth, between 2 teeth theres exactly 10 crank degree. If you turn your crank to TDC, the sensor is placed right at the 8th tooth, which means 80 degrees.

Spark occurs after ECU ground a wire and release it, the time between ground and release is ignition dwell, in milisecond. Do not set it too high, it will not give a hotter spark, its going to make a hotter coil instead. a value between 2.5-3.5 will be fine, set it too high will fry your coil drivers or coil. Set it to low you will get misfire.

Use the setting below, but be aware that im using different dwell for coil charge time, you guys should use 2.5 instead, for COP users, use going low ( normal ) method.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Last edited:
Fuel settings:

Fuel settings are simple, I will not explain everything since theres already a usermanual for MS2.I want you guys make sure that injector 1 and 4 is connected to Bank A and 2 & 3 wired to Bank B. This is essential to make car run right.

I was using 420cc wrx injectors with the following configurations:

1.jpg

If you use stock injectors, you can click on req fuel and enter the info, the software will calculate for you.

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
General Settings, Idle control and Tuning:

General settings:
7.jpg

Lag factor of 50 is fine for all sensor, since I get constant noise from my tps sensor (defect), I reduced it much lower, im running like 25 or 30 right now. Map sample you can set to 50%, which is original value. AFAIK, it do nothing really.

Idle control:
FSDE engine uses PWM valve to control idle, valve frequency should be 55hz. More info about idle control will be posted by dkarthik I'm not using idle valve, I adjusted the throttle plate with the screw to let it idle. You can use this as temporary solution to check if your car can start. But I recommend you to configure IAC valve and make it works. You will have a much better idle.

I'm not responsible if you blow your engine with my map, Ive been run this map with knock sensing device for more than 10000miles, I tuned the spark to minimize the knock instead of best torque.

Spark in boost:

4-1.jpg

Spark in vacuum or NA:

3-1.jpg

AFR target:

5-1.jpg

Now you have done the essential settings, you have to tune acceleration enrichment, you gotta follow the manual here instead, its much more complexe.http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/ You should be able to start the engine now if you adjusted the throttle screw or IAC. If it runs and die right away, you need fine tune the afterstart enrichment, crank pulse, and warmup enrichment. Read the manual.

Last edited:
This should prove to be really helpful for some. Especially the screen shots of the setup! I wish I could have found something like that when setting up the MS on my KL swap. I've got it running nicely now, but there was a bit of head scratching...

Well I can post the circuit mod details to run the stock FSDE COPs if you like, I also have a couple of pics of the actual in car install using the wiring diagram... LMK...

Yes no problem, I can add to the section, adding courtesy from you =)

If someone else have information to add, I will do it.

Last edited:
Here are the circuit diagrams for anyone wanting to run the stock COP's without having direct coil control, just firing the built in ignitiors:

Another thing to add might be the PWM idle valve settings, the proteges/MSPs will need to build this circuit too and wire it up to go full standalone... I personally am happy with fuel and spark and don't see a reason to remove the stock ECU and loose OBD functionality... I think ill make a detailed thread for people wanting to build the MS themselves... I have that part down...

Attachments

• neonout.GIF
    neonout.GIF
    25.4 KB · Views: 20,539
Fuel only is real easy, You don't even need MS II for that, just MS I is more than enough, but I would recommend doing the ignition too... Its much safer for your engine that way.

great stuff. How would i go about setting up fuel control? I dont need spark. I want to do a piggyback system.

Well, this guide is mostly for Standalone installation, if you want to run as piggyback you probably dont need to wire ignition sensors, but dont count on me, I dont know how.

MS2 is too complex and this guide must be written by everyone who have experience with ms.

Stuck.

Is there a way to run the megasquirt to run timing and fueling in standalone yet leave the factory ecu for all other functions?

MS2 is too complex and this guide must be written by everyone who have experience with ms.

I agree, I had to months of research to figure out how to set up the circuit... this should make things a lot easier for someone wanting to set one up now...
let me get to work on the circuit build... Ill probably write it out in a word doc and send it to you so that you can post it here...

Stuck.

Is there a way to run the megasquirt to run timing and fueling in standalone yet leave the factory ecu for all other functions?

Yup... I am running that set up right now... I have fuel and timing control.. everything else is run by the stock ECU and I don't have a CEL!

I agree, I had to months of research to figure out how to set up the circuit... this should make things a lot easier for someone wanting to set one up now...
let me get to work on the circuit build... Ill probably write it out in a word doc and send it to you so that you can post it here...

Perfect!

Sure thing, I am working on the guide right now, so expect it to be up in a couple of hours

Finished

Hey, I finished the build guide, it is a PDF, see if you can manage to integrate it into this thread or else let me know, I will make another thread out of it...

Attachments

• Megasquirt circuit building guide for FSDE.pdf
    414.2 KB · Views: 1,078
Back