rear brakes squeak in reverse first thing in the morning...

With the coated rotors, does it appear to get as much surface rust as you did with the factory rotors?

Also, as you mentioned, greasing the caliper pins is very important to proper function. One of the side-affects of good pin lubrication, is noise-isolation. The grease inhibits the frequencies/noise from resonating into the chassis and being amplified.

With the surface that gets contact with the pads its the same thing as the oem, they are made from the same cast iron material it seems, the diff. is the coated area not in contact with the pads so they remain coated and rust free.

Lubricating the caliper pins, as for me its night and day compared to no grease at all from the factory, at least thats what the dealer found. To me it helps to smoothen the move of the caliper plate to align it properly without a snag, maintaining balanced contact between in/outside pads + add chamfer all around the edges.

Last edited:
I had this when the car is new and complained to the dealer and they lubricated the caliper pins and the noise is gone. I guess with the well lubed caliper pins the caliper floats and center itself better preventing both pads from unevenly pressing on the rotors especially when backing up. I recently changed to coated / crossed drilled rotors and did not forget to lube the caliper pins. so far no noise.

I had the same issue on my old Mercury Sable, lubed the caliper pins well, problem went away. I need to do it on the 5 as well...

I put wagner organic pads on the front a month ago and they squeal bad... going all ceramic in a week or so and I'm gonna try the grease on the pins. Good luck with the squeal folks.

Just park in the garage.

And the OP has less than 2 dozen posts in 5 years - talk about not contributing...!

Just park in the garage.

And the OP has less than 2 dozen posts in 5 years - talk about not contributing...!

Thanks for the amazing contribution!! You going to come and build us all garages then? And make them mobile? If not, STFU.

FYI - I don't have a garage either. But I also know how that thing called water (condensation) can cause that thing call rust (oxidation) and cause that thing called noise (squeak) when you back your car up in the morning. But did you not notice that it goes away too? HHHhhhMMMmmm......Care to add anything? I think it's all been covered already.

Had the same horrible noise backing up. But when I had my front brakes check the rotors were badly grooved and pads worn. Had them replaced, noise went away. BUT my wife's 2006 Honda Accord makes that noise sometimes. Her rotors were replaced days ago. Haven't been in Honda to access noise if any.

All of my vehicles make noise when backing up for the first drive of the day. They are parked in a garage overnight. My wife has asked me to look at the brakes in the Voyager because of this. I didn't find any problems, took it to a mechanic and he also said there's nothing wrong with the brakes.

Since winter is just ending here in Minnesota, I do know that it happens in the cold. Since we haven't had consistent warm weather for 5-6 months, I don't remember if it does it as much in the summer.

My vehicles:
2006 Mazda5
2000 Chrysler Grand Voyager
1990 Olds Cutlass Supreme

My vehicles don't make the noise every day, but it is not un-common.

Just got our 5 and it does the same. good to at least know it is not just ours. I'll try lubing the pins. Hope that works. If not, it's not a huge deal to me...but would like to try and fix it.

If it happens only during the first few minutes while backing up, its normal its the rotor surface rusting a bit. It happens to all cars especially when backing up. But if it persist, try lubing the pins and add champers on the pads, it will help and make sure you have all the shims at the back of the pads installed, that's what its for to reduce brake noise.

Bumping an old thread I know. Curious if those of you who replaced your rotors with the higher-end ones with the coating saw less rust/noise when backing out. I added some brake quiet to the back of my pads and lubed the caliper pins the other day and I still get noise when backing out under damp conditions

I used to have them on all four wheels, but ever since upgrading my front brakes I only get it from the rears.

Bumping an old thread I know. Curious if those of you who replaced your rotors with the higher-end ones with the coating saw less rust/noise when backing out.

Yes. I've changed my front and rear rotors with Powerstop untis with e-coat. Never had another issue with that noise. Flash rusting after a good rain is almost NIL at this point also.

When you say your front brakes do you mean just the rotors or the pads or both?

Both. I had to upgrade cause the rotors where shot. I'm using Centric StopTech slotted with Hawk HPS pads.

Last edited:
Back