rear brakes squeak in reverse first thing in the morning...

N600

:
Mazda3 sedan
my wife's '06 5 Touring has this nasty habit of squealing as she backs out of the driveway every morning. she utterly HATES it and I must say, it's quite annoying.
it's done it since day one of having it (purchased in Feb of this year & it only has 50K on it).
it only happens in reverse after being parked (overnight normally) and seems to be worse in the cold.
i realize it's most likely the pad hanging up/chattering when the direction of the rotor changes, but not sure of a way to remedy it or if it is something commonly experienced in the mz5.

anyone else get this on their mz5?

back into the parking spot? its just the pads on the rotors, not much you can do about it.

yeah i didn't know if there was anything that could be done...like bending the tension spring in the caliper.

probably a combo of the type of pads and the way it comes to rest when parked.
i think i'm going to try organic pads when the time comes to change them.
might prevent the metal to metal stiction that happens once the brakes cool.

I don't think I've driven a car that didn't do this at some point or other. I find it typically happens when it's been humid. Funny thing is that for both my Mz5 and my last car (Taurus) the noise predominantly came from the passenger-rear tire. Go figure.

Happens to my 08 touring.

Mainly in the cold, and after a while sitting.

Also when humid. So... it seems to be when the rust has formed on the rotor.

Man can it be loud. Last time i washed the 5, it made this sick sound when backing up. I drove it around the block to hit the brakes more, and it makes it go away.

well, it may have become accepted to some extent, but it's definitely NOT normal.
i've had plenty of cars w/ rear disc and never had the problem.
we have a year-round creek in our front yard and the driveway is in the shade, so I know the extra moisture has something to do with it, but i'm definitely going to replace the pads w/ ceramics when the time comes. HOPEFULLY that helps. :/

well, it may have become accepted to some extent, but it's definitely NOT normal.
we have a year-round creek in our front yard and the driveway is in the shade, so I know the extra moisture has something to do with it, but i'm definitely going to replace the pads w/ ceramics when the time comes. HOPEFULLY that helps. :/

I would guess that you would have to change the rotors as well?(uhm)

I would love to hear input from those who have changed out the rotors for another type, such as the slotted/drilled ones. Maybe the good ones wont get coated with the surface rust as quickly?

my thoughts for the ceramics are there is more organic and ceramic materials in the pads, hopefully keeping the pads from sticking to the rotors after sitting overnight. it's not going to stop the oxidation of the surface of the rotors.

rotors won't make that much difference.
the quality of the steel is pretty much the same across the board.
swapping out for slotted or drilled doesn't change the steel, it just drills or slots it.
if it's a corrosion/rust issue, all the steel has iron in it, and it's pretty much exposed to the elements, and going to oxidize. no way around that....unless, of course, you guys want to prebuy some carbon rotors, then i can get a company to make a batch for us...who's in? :p

a pad change isnt going to change anything but brake feel, not sound.

my thoughts for the ceramics are there is more organic and ceramic materials in the pads, hopefully keeping the pads from sticking to the rotors after sitting overnight. it's not going to stop the oxidation of the surface of the rotors.

rotors won't make that much difference.
the quality of the steel is pretty much the same across the board.
swapping out for slotted or drilled doesn't change the steel, it just drills or slots it.
if it's a corrosion/rust issue, all the steel has iron in it, and it's pretty much exposed to the elements, and going to oxidize. no way around that....unless, of course, you guys want to prebuy some carbon rotors, then i can get a company to make a batch for us...who's in? :p

all brake rotors are cast iron, not steel. and steel actually has more iron in it than cast iron does. cast iron has more carbon dissolved in its structurethan steel does. and the different grades of steel start with a pure amount of iron, then have a calculated amount of carbon added back to help the structure to be stronger. cast irons generally rust quicker than steel, but will generally keep the rust to the surface - steel will start to rust into the structure further than cast iron will.

That's probably it then. Mine squeak in reverse only after each car wash. Then goes away complete when the pads and rotors are dry. Try situating the car in a dry area for a couple of nights and see if the problem goes away.

God this forum has some seriously anal retentive people. I mean NORMAL FOR OUR CARS. Try to think back to the episode during potty training that made you have to be anal retentive for the rest of your life and let it go. Ponder it. Let it go.

God this forum has some seriously anal retentive people. I mean NORMAL FOR OUR CARS. Try to think back to the episode during potty training that made you have to be anal retentive for the rest of your life and let it go. Ponder it. Let it go.
and this is precisely why I steer clear of forums like this.
thanks for reminding me that my disbelief in trolls is completely unfounded.
and thanks for not contributing anything of value, in any way, to the thread.

dont be too quick to leave, there are still quite a few members here that know whta they are talking about. unfortunately, sometimes you have to sift through a lot of crap to find the good.

a pad change isnt going to change anything but brake feel, not sound.
I'd disagree with that. Metallic and semi-metallic pads have a tendency to squeal when cold but are better at cooling under constant hard braking. Organic has a less tendency for noise but will make a lot more dust and are not suited for dissipating heat from constant braking. Ceramic is the best of both worlds but $$.

It's also important that you replace the hardware kit (shims, retainer clips, etc.). Does a brand new Mz5 squeal (I don't know but sure hope not)? If you do a complete brake overhaul it will stop the squealing (rebuild/new caliper, new rotor, pads, hardware kit, bleed system, torque lug nuts and all bolts to spec).

Sorry your feelings are hurt, or whatever your problem is. Commenting that the disc brakes make a noise, that almost ALL stock 5s makes, that is normal is a valid contribution to the thread. You interpreted the comment incorrectly, vented, heard a rebuttal, and vented again. I'm not a little kid so maybe I just don't understand where you're coming from.

Last edited:
I had this when the car is new and complained to the dealer and they lubricated the caliper pins and the noise is gone. I guess with the well lubed caliper pins the caliper floats and center itself better preventing both pads from unevenly pressing on the rotors especially when backing up. I recently changed to coated / crossed drilled rotors and did not forget to lube the caliper pins. so far no noise.

I had this when the car is new and complained to the dealer and they lubricated the caliper pins and the noise is gone. I guess with the well lubed caliper pins the caliper floats and center itself better preventing both pads from unevenly pressing on the rotors especially when backing up. I recently changed to coated / crossed drilled rotors and did not forget to lube the caliper pins. so far no noise.

With the coated rotors, does it appear to get as much surface rust as you did with the factory rotors?

Also, as you mentioned, greasing the caliper pins is very important to proper function. One of the side-affects of good pin lubrication, is noise-isolation. The grease inhibits the frequencies/noise from resonating into the chassis and being amplified.

Last edited:
Back