Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Your Best Source for Genuine Mazda Parts!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rear brakes squeak in reverse first thing in the morning...

Mazda 5 kid hauler

Mazda3 sedan

Hill Billy, Nor Cal (where the rednecks live)

Angry rear brakes squeak in reverse first thing in the morning...

my wife's '06 5 Touring has this nasty habit of squealing as she backs out of the driveway every morning. she utterly HATES it and I must say, it's quite annoying.
    it's done it since day one of having it (purchased in Feb of this year & it only has 50K on it).
    it only happens in reverse after being parked (overnight normally) and seems to be worse in the cold.
    i realize it's most likely the pad hanging up/chattering when the direction of the rotor changes, but not sure of a way to remedy it or if it is something commonly experienced in the mz5.

anyone else get this on their mz5?

Donated: $0.61

2011 MX5 GT

back into the parking spot? its just the pads on the rotors, not much you can do about it.
    Nik
    2011 Black MX-5 GT

Mazda 5 kid hauler

Mazda3 sedan

yeah i didn't know if there was anything that could be done...like bending the tension spring in the caliper.

probably a combo of the type of pads and the way it comes to rest when parked.
    i think i'm going to try organic pads when the time comes to change them.
    might prevent the metal to metal stiction that happens once the brakes cool.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by N600 View Post
    anyone else get this on their mz5?
    Yep. All of us. Part of the charm.

Registered Member

2006 Mazda5 GS 5MT

I don't think I've driven a car that didn't do this at some point or other. I find it typically happens when it's been humid. Funny thing is that for both my Mz5 and my last car (Taurus) the noise predominantly came from the passenger-rear tire. Go figure.

2006 Mazda5 GS 5sp MT - Current
    1999 Ford Taurus SE Sedan - Given to Nephew
    1988 Buick Regal Limited - Donated

PVB, Mazda2, Mazda5, Protege5 & Spam Removal Moderator

'13 Mazda3 / '13 Edge / Your Mom

Happens to my 08 touring.

Mainly in the cold, and after a while sitting.

Also when humid. So... it seems to be when the rust has formed on the rotor.

Man can it be loud. Last time i washed the 5, it made this sick sound when backing up. I drove it around the block to hit the brakes more, and it makes it go away.
    13 MZ3 // 13 Edge
    If you see spam.... REPORT IT! Fight the spam, don't eat it... or bump the spam threads.
    Audio stuff for sale!

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'15 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

Items For Sale
    http://www.mazdaiii.com/forum/showth...hp?t=123723603

Here is a link to a previous thread about this fun noise!
    Mazda's I have owned over the years.
    80' Mazda GLC SPORT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 - sold
    81' Mazda 626 LX - sold
    82' Mazda 626 - sold
    82' Mazda 626 LX - sold
    85' Mazda 626 - sold
    87' Mazda 626 GT Turbo - sold
    85' Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE - sold
    87' Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2 - sold
    91' Mazda Protege LX - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata - sold
    93' Mazda MX-3 GS-V6 Special Edition - sold
    00' Mazda 626 LX-V6 - sold
    02' Mazda Protege5 - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata - sold
    06' Mazda 5 Touring Auto - sold
    13' Mazda CX-5 Touring - sold
    14' Mazda 3i Grand Touring - sold
    15' Mazda CX-5 Touring Auto - current

2009 Mazda5 GT

Normal.

Mazda 5 kid hauler

Mazda3 sedan

well, it may have become accepted to some extent, but it's definitely NOT normal.
    i've had plenty of cars w/ rear disc and never had the problem.
    we have a year-round creek in our front yard and the driveway is in the shade, so I know the extra moisture has something to do with it, but i'm definitely going to replace the pads w/ ceramics when the time comes. HOPEFULLY that helps. :/

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'15 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

Items For Sale
    well, it may have become accepted to some extent, but it's definitely NOT normal.
    we have a year-round creek in our front yard and the driveway is in the shade, so I know the extra moisture has something to do with it, but i'm definitely going to replace the pads w/ ceramics when the time comes. HOPEFULLY that helps. :/
    I would guess that you would have to change the rotors as well?

I would love to hear input from those who have changed out the rotors for another type, such as the slotted/drilled ones. Maybe the good ones wont get coated with the surface rust as quickly?
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Mazda 5 kid hauler

Mazda3 sedan

my thoughts for the ceramics are there is more organic and ceramic materials in the pads, hopefully keeping the pads from sticking to the rotors after sitting overnight. it's not going to stop the oxidation of the surface of the rotors.

rotors won't make that much difference.
    the quality of the steel is pretty much the same across the board.
    swapping out for slotted or drilled doesn't change the steel, it just drills or slots it.
    if it's a corrosion/rust issue, all the steel has iron in it, and it's pretty much exposed to the elements, and going to oxidize. no way around that....unless, of course, you guys want to prebuy some carbon rotors, then i can get a company to make a batch for us...who's in?

Donated: $0.61

2011 MX5 GT

a pad change isnt going to change anything but brake feel, not sound.

my thoughts for the ceramics are there is more organic and ceramic materials in the pads, hopefully keeping the pads from sticking to the rotors after sitting overnight. it's not going to stop the oxidation of the surface of the rotors.

rotors won't make that much difference.
    the quality of the steel is pretty much the same across the board.
    swapping out for slotted or drilled doesn't change the steel, it just drills or slots it.
    if it's a corrosion/rust issue, all the steel has iron in it, and it's pretty much exposed to the elements, and going to oxidize. no way around that....unless, of course, you guys want to prebuy some carbon rotors, then i can get a company to make a batch for us...who's in?
    all brake rotors are cast iron, not steel. and steel actually has more iron in it than cast iron does. cast iron has more carbon dissolved in its structurethan steel does. and the different grades of steel start with a pure amount of iron, then have a calculated amount of carbon added back to help the structure to be stronger. cast irons generally rust quicker than steel, but will generally keep the rust to the surface - steel will start to rust into the structure further than cast iron will.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

That's probably it then. Mine squeak in reverse only after each car wash. Then goes away complete when the pads and rotors are dry. Try situating the car in a dry area for a couple of nights and see if the problem goes away.

2009 Mazda5 GT

God this forum has some seriously anal retentive people. I mean NORMAL FOR OUR CARS. Try to think back to the episode during potty training that made you have to be anal retentive for the rest of your life and let it go. Ponder it. Let it go.

Mazda 5 kid hauler

Mazda3 sedan

Quote Originally Posted by Robotaz View Post
    God this forum has some seriously anal retentive people. I mean NORMAL FOR OUR CARS. Try to think back to the episode during potty training that made you have to be anal retentive for the rest of your life and let it go. Ponder it. Let it go.
    and this is precisely why I steer clear of forums like this.
    thanks for reminding me that my disbelief in trolls is completely unfounded.
    and thanks for not contributing anything of value, in any way, to the thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast