Trying to clarify the P0421 / Cat / Non-fouler trick on a stock P5

Shawaron

I bought my P5 new in 2001, and have kept it stock ever since. I have 128,000 miles on it.

A couple of years ago, I started getting the random misfires. Replacing spark plugs and wires helped, but it was replacing the coils that finally fixed it just about a year ago, just in time for me to pass emissions.

Shortly after that, my CEL came back on, and it was the dreaded P0421. I noticed a slight drop in MPG (about 2 MPG), but no significant change in performance, and no rotten-eggs smell.

I procrastinated, and now I have until the end of July to pass emissions again. I started searching and discovered the non-fouler trick. I have a few questions that the various threads were not clear on:

1) Will the trick work for me? I understand that it doesn't actually fix the problem, just makes me pass emissions. I'm fine with that; this car is now used primarily for commuting and I don't want to spend $1000 or so to add 2MPG.

2) I understand that there are two O2 sensors; the one at the bottom of the car near the oil pan, and one up front inside the engine. I found the bottom one. Which one would I put the non-foulers on?

3) In the main howto thread here:

http://mazdas247.com/vbb222/showthread.php?t=123634664

...it looks like it's the bottom sensor that needs to be modified. Do I need to do anything to the top sensor, as pictured here:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52498

...?

4) In another thread that I now can't find, someone mentioned using a special socket or wrench to remove the O2 sensor, but didn't give any more info. What is the easiest way to remove the O2 sensor without damaging it?

I greatly appreciate this resource, thanks to all who have posted about this. I'll try to take some pictures of my own and contribute as I do this.

I bought my P5 new in 2001, and have kept it stock ever since. I have 128,000 miles on it.

A couple of years ago, I started getting the random misfires. Replacing spark plugs and wires helped, but it was replacing the coils that finally fixed it just about a year ago, just in time for me to pass emissions.

Shortly after that, my CEL came back on, and it was the dreaded P0421. I noticed a slight drop in MPG (about 2 MPG), but no significant change in performance, and no rotten-eggs smell.

I procrastinated, and now I have until the end of July to pass emissions again. I started searching and discovered the non-fouler trick. I have a few questions that the various threads were not clear on:

1) Will the trick work for me? I understand that it doesn't actually fix the problem, just makes me pass emissions. I'm fine with that; this car is now used primarily for commuting and I don't want to spend $1000 or so to add 2MPG.

2) I understand that there are two O2 sensors; the one at the bottom of the car near the oil pan, and one up front inside the engine. I found the bottom one. Which one would I put the non-foulers on?

3) In the main howto thread here:

http://mazdas247.com/vbb222/showthread.php?t=123634664

...it looks like it's the bottom sensor that needs to be modified. Do I need to do anything to the top sensor, as pictured here:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52498

...?

4) In another thread that I now can't find, someone mentioned using a special socket or wrench to remove the O2 sensor, but didn't give any more info. What is the easiest way to remove the O2 sensor without damaging it?

I greatly appreciate this resource, thanks to all who have posted about this. I'll try to take some pictures of my own and contribute as I do this.

1) Yup, it should work.

2) The bottom one, don't touch the top one.

3) The method in the second link is an alternative to the non-fouler trick, it also only applies to the bottom O2 sensor. From what I've read, the non-fouler trick seems to be more reliable.

4) You can use a special impact socket, but a regular adjustable wrench will work fine. Just make sure to soak the O2 sensor in penetrating oil 30min or so ahead of time and it should come out.

You can rent the special socket at any auto parts store, or buy it for about $10. I believe it's 22mm, and it basically has a slot cut in the side of the socket so that you can put the socket over the sensor without pinching the sensor wires.

The only code I kept getting was the P0421 code. So when I found out about this trick the on,y store open was a 24 Hour Autozone. I saw they had the 18 mm Spark-Plug Non-Fouler in stock along with the 1/2 inch Drill bit. Cost me $10 and waited a little after I got home to let the car cool down. I did the
http://mazdas247.com/vbb222/showthread.php?t=123634664 How-To which is very detailed and only spent about 10 minutes doing the install ( drilling and all). Last night I only had to drive a little to notice the difference. This morning I didn't see the CEL and I notice that the idling problem associated with the P0421 code is now worked its was out of the system. Car runs smooth and now I don't have to worry about yellow lights on the dash during night time driving. LOL Thanks you guys

Back