Mazda Won't Replace my VVT

swank_x

Hi,

So, before my warranty ran out I had my CX-7 in because of a strange, burning plastic smell. They claim to not have found anything.

Now, with 70K miles, its making horrible sounds & idles poorly (esp. when cold), and sometimes hesitates when at cruising speed. The dealer diagnosed it as a bad variable valve timing actuator, and gave me a quote for $1,350.00

I called Mazda corporate, but they said that they couldn't help me because I did my own oil changes, etc. They actually said that people who bring their car to the dealership show more loyalty and so they are more likely to help them! I asked why spending $18K on a Protege5 and then, a few years later, $34K on a CX-7 wasn't enough customer loyalty. He had a hard time with that one.

I've asked to speak to the supervisor, and am awaiting her call, but the rep I spoke with said the decision is made and she won't be able to overturn it.

I can't afford this...and am frustrated by their lack of customer service. I mean, with a TSB out there for VIN numbers incl. mine, it seems to me that this is a known issue with a faulty (and important) part. yet they are basically blaming me for it. I feel stuck holding a bag of you know what. I'm quickly losing my zoom zoom zoom attitude.

I could use some advice, esp. in regards to trying to get them to pay for this...is there any hope?

unfortunately, unless you can figure out if that smell was indeed your valve, your kinda stuck.

just because theres a TSB on something only means that they know how to fix it. it doesn't mean its a recall or something that affects every car in that VIN range...

did you find the TSB? does it say anything about "customer report burning plastic smell"? if so, then you have a case, otherwise....sorry bout your luck....

and i feel you on the 'own oil changes' thing. thats a BS move that Mazda has started recently. i own my second and third Mazda, and the ONLY time I let the dealership do an oil change, they put the wrong oil in. Eff that. i'll do it myself. I do, however, keep pretty impressive records with reciepts and everything...

Report Mazda and the dealer to your states Attorney General Office. Also notify the Better Business bureau. Make sure you send a 30 Day Demand letter as well.

Mazda and warranty reimbursement

I have had at least 3 issue's with my cx7 where mazda or dealer would not take care of a tsb item after the 60k warranty was up. And all three I have been paid for. Here's how.
1. You must have gone in to a dealer at least once while under the 60k warranty for the same problem you now seek assistance with.
2. Eventhough you are past the 60k mark, you attempted to get the warrantable problem fixed before the warranty was up and the dealer would not acknowledge the problem, would not fix it.
3. Warranty law states that if you made these attempts, the warranty is in effect until the company fixes it.
4. So file in small claims court for the amount to get it fixed.
5. Once they are served you will get a call from Mazda asking you what you want, what is wrong, etc.
6. Stick to the basics that you came in while under warranty and the dealer wouldn't fix it. Mazda will then offer you an amount to settle. Again stick to your guns. They will pay. It is not worth it for them to send someone out to defend such a small claim. And you get your filing and service costs back to.

There is a very common misconception about what a TSB is. All it is is specific instructions on how to fix a problem. There is nothing in a TSB that says it has to be fixed without charge to the customer. There are plenty of TSB's posted for every make and model of cars. When I had my RX-7, they were still issuing TSB's near 10 years later. It is a way for the dealership/independent repair show to know the proper steps to replace the part.

Also, a TSB does not indicate that every vehicle in that VIN range will have the problem. However, in the manufacturing process, inherent differences in parts lead to slightly different repair procedures. My old Dodge Dakota has a TSB for how to replace the differential fluid. My Dakota's VIN indicated that didn't need a gasket, however, there is another VIN range that does need a gasket. All this TSB said was to make sure to not use a gasket and to use a special RTV.

A manufacture can issue a TSB any time it wants. There is no indication that a TSB will lead to a recall. However, some TSB's do turn into recalls.

Your mileage is clearly out of the factory warranty period and thus the dealership has no responsibility to fix a problem for free. If this has happened while still under the factory warranty they yes, the dealership would fix it at no cost to you. Also, there is nothing saying that you have to go to the dealership to get your car fixed. You will probably save money if you go to an independent mechanic.

If you are concerned with the cost of repairing a vehicle, then you should have purchased an extended warranty, bought a cheaper car to fix, or learn how to fix it yourself, or take it somewhere where it might be cheaper to fix. Honestly, I find it shocking that you would think that a dealership would fix your car free of charge when it has 70,000 miles on it. At what point, mileage wise, would you not expect a dealership to fix your car for free?

There is a very common misconception about what a TSB is. All it is is specific instructions on how to fix a problem. There is nothing in a TSB that says it has to be fixed without charge to the customer.

exactly. nobody ever believes me on that...

Since you did not bring it to a dealer with a bad VVT before the warranty was up, but, only a plastic smell you are out of luck I think. Changing a VVT according to the Mazda book, is quite an involved process. $1350 is too much IMO and as said, an independent is worth looking into IF the independent shop is well versed in changing the VVT.

I agree.I had a Subaru with 59000 miles and I smelled antifreeze.They said they could not find anything. at 62k the motor blew up because of the thermistat,Subaru put a brand new motor in without any charge and let me see it in the crate before they installed it.

Back