grille removal on 2000

tercel89

I have a 2000 protege and need to remove the grille and it seems as if there are severeal things in the way . Before I start tearing this and that off , what should I do to take it off ?
Any help is appreciated .

Take a close look at where the prongs on the back are holding it onto the radiator support. Should be 2 prongs, push those out and remove the bolts/screws and it should lift right off.

its super easy if u take off the bumper, which isnt hard. Even if u get the visible clips on the grille off there are 3 or 4 on the bottom that attach it to the bumper which are hidden.

its super easy if u take off the bumper, which isnt hard. Even if u get the visible clips on the grille off there are 3 or 4 on the bottom that attach it to the bumper which are hidden.

O, that sucks. 01-03 doesn't have those... Why does Mazda feel the need to secure their grilles so well?

no idea lol, i just didnt put the hidden ones back in, so i can remove my grille whenever i want.

anyone got any pics of the frill from a 2000 yr or similiar looks like off of the car ? That way I will know what to look for when taking it off . I found several on line but cant see the back sides and mounting points .

i took mine out and replaced by a 2001-03 grille,pain in the butt thou.
Had to cut a lot to make it fit and still not happy.
i will keep making some mods on it.

Last edited:
anyone got any pics of the frill from a 2000 yr or similiar looks like off of the car ? That way I will know what to look for when taking it off . I found several on line but cant see the back sides and mounting points .

I took the grille off my 03 mazda protege es and while I was waiting for the paint to dry I looked at the car without a grille and I must say it looks guite mean, but it's a fairly big hole and it makes it really easy to pop the hood open because the latch is exposed. So for some what of protection and for looks I finished painting it and put it back on the car. I will try to post a picture of what it looks like without it if I can find the picture.

i took mine out and replaced by a 2001-03 grille,pain in the butt thou.
Had to cut a lot to make it fit and still not happy.
i will keep making some mods on it.

did you change the hood, front bumper, fenders, inner fenders, headlights? or was it hard to replace the 01 grille with everything else original? I'm thinking of finally doing the upgrade by replacing the whole front of the vehicle and i'm scared i'll end up wasting money and ******* the car up lol

Back