Help With Installing A Head Unit in 2003 P5

SPcamert

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
So I just picked up a 2003 Mazda P5 after owning a 99 Saturn SC2 for 3-4 years and the audio is really bugging me. The stereo sounds great but I get sick of the radio quick and don't own that many CD's. I'd installed a JVC deck in my old car with a Line-In jack but I had to sell that deck with the car (probably wouldn't have been able to sell it without the radio) so now I'm starting over. I keep looking at the double-DIN unit and wondering these things 1. How do you dismantle the dash to get it out? 2. Once I get back there what am I going to see in terms of wiring? 3. Will anything work or am I going to try to install another unit and fry it? 4. How do I secure it in the car again once I'm done? Now I'm no stranger to audio install. I replaced all the speakers in the Saturn (since I blew them) and did the head unit myself. That car was easy though because all it had was 2 plastic "screws" holding on the cover and two actual screws holding in the stereo. Then I went to Circuit City (when they still existed) and got a harness for a JVC to Saturn plug and the antenna adapter. I like the sound the speakers give me so only want to replace the head unit. Is it going to be as easy as before or am I going to destroy the first unit I buy or something?

Crutchfield gives you a free plug n play (pnp) harness and the installation brackets for almost everycar when you but a headunit from them. I still have my 00-03 protege/p5 harness that works with kenwood units. They give you detailed instructions too.

Its very simple and easy for the 00+ proteges, you just pull on each side of the center trim, slightly and it pops right off. I used a thin plastic card (blockbuster card) to get behind the plastic to pry it up enough to get some distance, then it popped right off.

If you installed radios before, this install will be very easy, other places besides crutchfield sell the PnP harness' for most radios (pioneer, alpine, kenwood, eclipse, etc)

Before you go and replace the stereo you might want to check out the Grom audio device for the MP5. www.gromaudio.com They have several different types for ipod, aux in or usb. It plugs into the back of the stock head unit as long as you don't have a 6-disc changer already. I have the Ipod unit from them and love it. I perfer to keep thinks stock looking as not to attract those with stick fingers. If you do replace the Head Unit (HU)you are going to need 2 sets of ford/mazda stereo puller tools, so a total of four. Like the guy said the two plastic pieces on either side of the radio pop right off. You will see three holes on either side, the one in the middle being bigger then the top and bottom. Push you stereo tools into these holes and push them outwards towards the door and pull while doing this. It can be bit tricky if you have smaller hands. Behind you will find the standard radio wire harness. Bestbuy, Cartoys, Crutchfield will have the adapter you need for aftermarket setups. Then just slide the radio back in until it clicks and your done, assuming you are going with a double din unit. Crutchfield has some nice clarion units that look almost stock and have 728 different display colors so you can match the HU with the gauges fyi.

Back