Modding the wife's car

cool, I am no stranger to modding, my builds are just much slower, first was a ford probe, that I supercharged. then the rx-8, my mods on that are
agency power header back, BHR Coil upgrade /w wires, Tien springs, Cobb AP with MM tune, drop in K&N, Clear corners, and on the way is Hawks front pads, and steel braided brake lines. thats over year...

wish lists included sway bars, front and back with endlinks, 3-6 point front strut bar, SFR turbo kit, Rims, front lip, short shifter, not necessarily in that order though and sure there is more lol

Tried out the latest version of my LED brake light, still not enough light. I then hooked up the one I bought from Octane Motorsports and the middle four LEDs didn't light (like I said earlier I would stay away from them). So, ended up installing the original light but with the diffuser I cut out in place. It kind of makes it look clear.

I also picked up the sideskirts, they look great. Have to wait a few days for the install, want to give the paint a chance to cure before I start moving them around.

The knob is here (damn UPS just put it by the front door without ringing or knocking again) and installed. Looks great, one cool feature is the three small holes at each tip that light up when you have the lights on. It was very hard to put it on, the clip in the center is extremely snug on the shaft.

No, it uses bleed light off the radio itself so there are no wires to connect. I'll get a picture in the next couple of days.

Sideskirts are on so car now has gorgeous Mazdaspeed hotness. The installation instructions are pretty good, just a couple of small issues due to the size of drawings and how they are written. I would recommend reading through them a few times before you start. The wife gave her approval which is good considering you can't really take them off once they are on due to the holes you drill in the rockers. I never really had a doubt she would like them as she likes all the exterior mods I have done to the other cars. Just waiting on the rear flares now and the exterior will be done. Then pics, I promise!

Looking at the car with the skirts on, I am thinking heavily about doing an HD lip. The upper part of the skirts aligns with the front lip, but the dark section sits lower. If I put on the HD lip it SHOULD line up better. Plus I'll be a trendsetter because I haven't seen anyone else do this.

I though about doing the HD lip, but decided against it. I would definately be interested in seeing how it comes out. I think it would look great witht he rockers you have now. I was just concerned with how well it would take the Chicago winters????

Well, people elsewhere were whinging (not too much) about pictures so here is one with the skirts. I'm going to go ahead with the front lip, if I don't like it there is no big deal to remove it.

Attachments

• 001a.jpg
    001a.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 176
If you are wondering about the HD lip, it is just rubber so it takes a beating. As long as you don't smack things with your factory lip you will be okay.

Making some corner splitters could look nice as well. I've seen some out there but think they're over priced. I've been contemplating fiberglassing my own as well as a few other things.

I was thinking about universal splitters myself but nothing really stood out. Also there isn't anything that matches the stock bumper profile so modding your own would be awesome.

I've looked at splitters but the ones I've seen on eBay for this car are all sad.

Here's the HD lip. I personally like how it looks, but I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea. The distance shot is a little washed out due to where the sun is this time of day. When I get the rear flares installed I'll get some good shots.

Attachments

• 001aa.jpg
    001aa.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 002a.jpg
    002a.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 186
Oh! I like that! Its so nice and subtle! It looks really nice. I'm not a huge fan of the MS front end. It creates downforce also. This looks clean and subtle, I really like it man. I was thinking about doing a universal CF splitter with adjustable rods myself but this is so much cleaner.

I've looked at splitters but the ones I've seen on eBay for this car are all sad.

Here's the HD lip. I personally like how it looks, but I know it won't be everyone's cup of tea. The distance shot is a little washed out due to where the sun is this time of day. When I get the rear flares installed I'll get some good shots.

Looks good! The HD lip looks good when done right, which obviously you took your time to do. I agree that the splitters out there look pretty tacky. I was thinking more along the lines of fiberglassing some for myself. Mostly a bordom/want to make something exercise. I have a ashtray replacement i'm working on as well, this weekend might be the time to do it.

Edit: I'll bring my camera to fuel if i remember. we can get some good shots of it if there's enough space.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliments. Having done this before it didn't really take that much time (maybe 15-20 minutes). It's all about getting your ducks in a row and paying attention to things.

I thought I was being innovative but the folks on 8Club disabused me of that notion! There really isn't much that is new.

I'm sure you got s*** for it being DIY and cheap. It looks good. I can't wait to see it in person.

The response so far hasn't been bad. Of course most people were at work when I posted so I fully expect some troll responses later!

I hate it when people give you s*** for being inovative and saving a little money. I ran into the same thing when I did my DIY screens to cover the oil coolers and radiator/ac condenser area. I used metal gutter guard and painted it. I was very happy with the results, but many here were calling it "rice" because I didn't buy the Racing Beat screens.

I like the look aspecially with the side skirts. Looks great, and if it doesn't weather well you can always re-do it.(thumb)

Latest posts

Back