Modding the wife's car

Sway has shipped (vendor is great, their response had "Where is my sway?" in the subject line). I have been doing research on red LED bulbs, I have decided instead of using the clear third brake light I bought and having to hack into the factory harness, I'll modify a stocker. That will definitely be a how-to as I haven't seen anyone on any forum do it (it has probably been done but I haven't seen any posts). Plus I will be using the awesome (as usual) sticker from Barry.

I use V-LED for exterior and custom red LED for interior.

Did you buy RB endlinks for the front? You'll need them. Also, once you install these you can never go back to stock endlinks.

Last edited:
Previous owner had installed adjustable end links so I should be okay. If not then I'll have to wait some more.

Spent about an hour today with the fuel pump removal tool I bought trying to get the darn thing out with no luck. Tried a couple of other things as well, the lock ring is on there with a death grip. I'm going to have to see if I can get the Mazda tool by hook or crook.

Try the local mazda dealerships. You may be able to rent or borrow the fuel pump removal tool from them.

That's actually what I am going to do. I have one more thing to try and then I will do it.

Front sway was waiting on the porch when we got home from lunch. This weekend is packed so the suspension will get done next week. Also stopped by the local dealer but due to an unfortunate occurrence in the past they won't lend out any special tools.

MS sideskirts have shipped. Too soon for delivery to show up on the site, but I'm figuring two weeks to receive them and paint/install.

Started off today with my clear third brake light mod. It came out okay but it doesn't light up the full light. I'm going to try something else to try and fix that. If it does work then I'll post a separate DIY.

And, because I'm a glutton for punishment, I replaced the front and rear suspension and sways today. Front wasn't horrible (although the sway was made much easier by having the shocks out). The rear was a different story. Got the coilovers out without much ado, but as the Tokicos are about the diameter of the stock units I had to remove one bolt on each of the rear toe control and upper locating arms (not 100% sure if my nomenclature is right for this car). Even with that the first one was kicking my ass, it kept hanging up on something inside the trunk. Finally got it in, the second one went much better (although I put the bottom on without the washer the first time, DOH!). I'm pretty beat after that so no driving today. I have to make an appointment for an alignment as the car is raised noticeably from the coilovers.

I spent about three hours on the brake light, and 7 on the suspension in total.

Sideskirts showed up today. They are pretty, and heavy to boot. Have to wait a few days to take them for paint.

Just took a short trip in her, the transformation in handling (even without an alignment) is amazing. Car doesn't feel skittish, tracks very well over all surfaces, and the TCS wasn't kicking in to spoil the fun. Can't wait to see how it is after a good alignment.

Ordered the Pettit rotor shaped volume knob for the radio. Didn't know these existed until a couple of days ago. The wife has complained about the stock knob blending in, and she likes the look of this one.

Dropped the sideskirts off at the body shop for paint. Received the rear aero flares, there are a couple of runs in the paint on one where it will be behind the tire. After what I had to go through with this clown I'm not happy. They were inexpensive but if you are going to represent something as being a certain way, you better have your QA good enough to back it up.

Ordered the Pettit rotor shaped volume knob for the radio. Didn't know these existed until a couple of days ago. The wife has complained about the stock knob blending in, and she likes the look of this one.

Where'd you get it from? I've been meaning to get one.

No problem, always glad to help someone out. Hers has shipped and is scheduled for delivery on Friday.

your build is cool, you must have loads of money at your disposal, you need to post more pictures!!!!

I wish I had a lot of money! Everything's relative. I am a lot older than most of the people around here, and I do have a good job. Being away so much means I don't spend a lot of money most of the year, and I have no real vices save my vehicles. It also helps being married to a person who does very well with the finances. There are a lot of other things that I won't get into, suffice to say that I pick a target and then spend wisely to reach it. If you check back in my first couple of posts you will see that I bought quite a few pieces used. Anyone can mod their car over time by doing the same. It just seems like I'm throwing money at it since I started putting the stuff on recently.

I'll post pictures of the overall car once I get the sideskirts on, probably next week.

Back