Modding the wife's car

Thanks for the tip. I am on top of that, the AP will be installed last. I did read a post by MM where he said having the coils didn't make any difference so I'm not too worried if I can't get the upgraded kit before I install the AP. I am planning on getting BHR's upgraded fuel pump and putting it in first.

Just scored an ignition setup for $200. Just have to buy the plug wires (and some new plugs of course).

hahahaha...nice Chief and a nice little list of mods you have there. My wife has given me permission to mod her 3 as well with the same caveat 'everything must be run by her'. Sadly she wants nothing to do with an intake/exhaust combo. :(

Looking forward to following along.

haha...i wnt and did the exhaust without her permission (on the explorer) boy, i had to listen to her for 8 yrs about that exhaust!

chief, nice mods...how about some pics?

Just scored an ignition setup for $200. Just have to buy the plug wires (and some new plugs of course).

Which ingition dod you get?

@ Joe, he is in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean right now, so the pics will be a little while in coming.

I hear you Joe, mine is usually pretty good with what I do (although in the past it was always my cars) but she did b**** me up for the short shifter at first. Just gotta love (or hate) those lllooooonnnnnngggggg female memories.

st, it's a set that was made up. The harness came from RaceRoots (it's the same as the one BHR sells, even the same price), the coils are GM Yukon units. The guy I'm buying from fabbed up a mount for them to put them in the same location as the stockers. He used them for 3,000 miles so should be plenty of life left. At the end of the day once I get the plugs and wires, I will have saved $160 over getting the whole shebang from BHR.

Oh, and we will be off Barbados on Friday so we're almost out of the Atlantic. Doesn't put me that much closer to home though!

Barbados......No that puts you on my s*** list. Just kidding, sounds like a good time. Mind your P's and Q's ashore.

the coil solution should be great. Was asking because there have been some issues with some of the older sets in the past (not BHR specifically, there was a learning curve with the Yukon coils though).

Won't be going ashore, we will just be close (really close as we are picking up some parts). It wouldn't matter anyway as company policy is that Capts and Chiefs cannot go ashore EVER when the ship has gas on board. Don't ask me why. On the plus side, it saves me money to spend on car parts!

Thanks for the advice on the coils, I hadn't heard about that. I am a noob when it comes to the 8 though. I figure the previous owner has tested them for me so I'm confident it will be fine.

I'm not sure what would happen if the Navy kept the Chiefs aboard when inport, but we would put up one hell of a fight.

IIRC it was an issue with dwell settings. Kane (PPO tuning here) could explain it if he sees this thread. I don't remember if it caused problems for NA 8's, but it was definately an issue for boosted aplications.

As we are officers we are supposed to just suck it up. While I don't go ashore a lot, I do like having the ability to when I desire. I did know the score before I came to work here so I can deal with it. Besides we have gone to a lot of places where you wouldn't want to go over (like Bonny Nigeria).

Well, I'm another 5-6 days further away from home. There is some drug-related violence in Mexico where I would have gotten off, so the company won't do any crew change there. So it's off to St Eustatius. Don't worry, I will be sure to post once I start working on the car. It's part of my homecoming therapy after all. We won't discuss what constitutes the rest!

Since I'm here a bit longer I decided to go ahead and get the upgraded fuel pump along with plugs and wires from BHR. I'll have those ordered later tonight. So it should all be ready and waiting when I get home. Put in all the hard parts and then load up the AP.

BTW, if anyone wants to know what the ass-end of a hurricane looks like I can tell you.

And plans change again. The person scheduled to relieve me has been sent elsewhere, the new guy hasn't been here before so I have to do a handover with him. That puts my getting home off until sometime close to the end of the month.

At this rate, I'll never have any actual work to post up!

Ever tried rx8club.com? Thats where I got all of the info I needed about modding and fixing my Rx8. I used to have a link to a website where you could download all the sections from the FSM. Was very helpful when replacing parts you wear out on the track :)

I'm a member of quite a few different forums. I sample a lot in order to try and get the best info. (thought) Already have the FSM in hardcopy, while it's nice to use the computer sometimes it's better putting your hands on it. I do wish Mazda would stop their practice of putting everything into one humuongous volume, you practically get a hernia carrying it around! The one for the Speed6 is annoying because you have to sift through the regular 6 pages to find the Speed specific ones.

And I finally got to post that after a day and a half!

Not really a mod, but her driver's side visor has broken so I bought her one off a dealer on eBay. Only $60 which for anyone who has looked is about half-price. That will be the very first thing I install as she said when it failed and dropped down, she about ripped it off!

Any news on your return chief? You're going to be swimming in parts and boxes by the time you get back.

Be honest, you just want to know how soon I'll have the coilovers off! j/k

I'm staying mum because I don't want to jinx myself. As I said my relief is on board so I'm basically waiting for port. You'll all know once I get started on things.

hehe you know it.

Actually, i just want to see how long it takes you to get all those mods done. That, and you're the life of a certain thead on another forum.

Back