Modding the wife's car

chiefmg

MOTM July 2015
:
'81 RX-7 GS, '00 Miata SE, '16 Camaro (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD
Ordinarily I don't do this sort of thing, I'd rather be wrenching and enjoying the fruits of my labor than keeping up with a thread. However, I figure solidtrance is probably getting tired of me posting in his thread ((inout)) so why the hell not do my own?

We bought the car back in January. One previous owner, we got a good deal as the place that had it specialized in used BMWs so they wanted it off the lot. The PO had installed BC Racing coilovers, rear MS strut bar, braided steel brake lines, K&N drop-in air filter, and adjustable sway bar end links. It also came with a second set of wheels/tires for winter use (they suck, some form of Dunlops), and with both carpet and winter mats.

We hadn't even picked the car up before I started buying parts. My wife loves what I do to the cars but she put me on notice that I had to run things by her before I changed it. I pointed out since she liked my past mods (except for the bronze wheels on the Protege, it was a style disagreement), she should just let me go for it. I did agree to run the external stuff by her.

Before I left home I had bought/installed the following: Racing Beat intake duct, spare tire kit (felt better with her having that), Axial Flow short shifter, Race Roots synchro saver, 6 disc CD changer (taken from an MPV radio), color matched clear corners, factory front lip and cargo net, Magnaflow catback, Fiamm horns (not a big change from the stockers since they are buried in the fenders), and oil cooler and radiator screens. The only thing she complained about was the shifter, after her first drive she came back in demanding I put the stocker back. I convinced her to wait a few days which she did, once she got used to it (mainly reverse) she was hooked. I did buy a set of fender vents but didn't get a chance to put them on. Also a set of Tokico D-Spec shocks with RB springs and a third brake light that was missing a screw. Based on my experience with trying to get that replaced, I would not recommend doing business with Octane Motorsports.

Since I have been at work I have picked up the following (both new and used) parts: Racing Beat REVi intake, Cobb AP (MM version with the tuning package), stock rear shocks (so I can use the spring hats for the Tokicos), stock third brake light (I have plans), Axial Flow master cylinder brace, adjusting cables and front tool for the Tokicos, Race Roots clutch pedal brace. Still to come (just before I head home) will be MS side skirts and the factory rear flares. The wife just piles up all the stuff I buy without looking at it and since the side skirts are long I will order them so they arrive after I get home.

And that does it for now. Won't be able to install this stuff for a while longer (it's a secret) so stay tuned...and try to stay awake!

Last edited:
Oh, here's a helpful tip for those removing the front bumper. There are 10 (IIRC) screws that hold the undertray to the bottom of the bumper. A couple of these are longer than the others, if you mix them up it's hard getting the shorter ones to grab. I'm very aware of that sort of thing from years of working on ships so I always lay stuff out in the order it came off. I can't remember exactly how I noticed it as they were on wrong the first time I took it off, but I have them all straightened out now. Helps holding on to miscellaneous bits and pieces.

Great to have another mod thread up. Sounds like your wife is one lucky lady. Keep us posted. BTW your comments are always welcome, usually informative and helpful. Stay safe, and I look forward to keeping up with your progress.

hahahaha...nice Chief and a nice little list of mods you have there. My wife has given me permission to mod her 3 as well with the same caveat 'everything must be run by her'. Sadly she wants nothing to do with an intake/exhaust combo. :(

Looking forward to following along.

I was about to shut my doors since I hadn't had anyone posting here. Thanks to you both. Yes my wife is lucky, that isn't me talking but her. The reaction I got from her when we bought the car was priceless, followed by the reaction of her kids as well. I just like making her happy when I can.

It's also helping keep the miles off the Speed while I'm gone, because she told me it's boring now to drive that car (because it doesn't make the same noises the 8 does). I told her she is now officially a rotard.

lmao....Tam loves the styling of the RX8 and if the kids were older might have opted for one herself although that alluring smile of the 3 caught her eye. haha

Here's her 'build' (I use that term loosely) thread if you'd like to take a peek. A bit more modest than what you have planned.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123766757

Yeah, I actually saw your thread (I tend to look for people I know from around different places), but I tend to lurk and not post much. Ironic considering I was complaining about no traffic in this thread! I do like the RX-8 wheels, I've been wondering how those would look on a Protege (since I might have damaged one of the MP3 wheels I have on there now).

For me, it doesn't matter how much money you have to spend, it's about the enjoyment of working on your car and improving it. It is only recently that I have been able to put the kind of money into my cars that I have, but I remember when I scrimped and saved to get a set of Konis for the 7. We're all enthusiasts and (I hope) can appreciate others' cars no matter what.

Kind of hard to get since I'm several thousand miles from home. I did post in the RX-8 pictures thread though when we got it, not much else to see since then. Once I get the exterior mods on I will definitely post some.

Chief: you have a great list of parts going on the 8. I'll follow the thread though i'm not on here nearly as much as the 8club. Let me know if you need help with the work once you're back. I'll gladly head over and lend a hand. Who knows, I might be able to afford to take the bc's off of your hands when you take them off.

Chief: you have a great list of parts going on the 8. I'll follow the thread though i'm not on here nearly as much as the 8club. Let me know if you need help with the work once you're back. I'll gladly head over and lend a hand. Who knows, I might be able to afford to take the bc's off of your hands when you take them off.

Thanks. I'm thinking since I have the AP I might as well get the BHR ignition and fuel pump upgrades now (if I can) before I get MM to give me the tune. Then I 'should' be done. I'll certainly ask if I need help, I generally do it all on my own since this sort of thing is my stress relief. I still have you in mind for the coilovers once they are off.

Get Hotchkis Sway Bars. They are phenominal and have 3 settings.

Thanks for the info. I need to take a close look at the ones I have on the car, I can't imagine someone installing coilovers and adjustable end links and not replacing the sways as well. I will probably not opt for adjustables, remember this is my wife's car so she won't be needing that. I don't even need that adjustablility on my cars, I keep saying I'm going to do some autocrossing but never quite make it for one reason or another. As long as any of my cars handles well enough to make me smile (and surprise some people) then I'm good.

I am always lurking as well. Been following Solidtrance's build, and now yours. Got my 07 8 back in November, trading in my MS3. Always interested in what other guys/gals might be doing. My build will be very very slow going. :) But keep up the work guys. I enjoy this site a little more the club, so I am always checking in.

Thanks for that link. Trunks are much better than hatches for some things, like, hiding bodies when you are disposing of same...(omg)

No problem and that's why I have a privacy cover. ;)

The RB intake showed up at the house yesterday. Took the guy too long to ship it, if I had been home I would have been very annoyed.

Just scored a used RB rear sway for $60 shipped. Even if the PO did install sways (the more I think about it, the more I don't think so) then I can always resell. Now I just have to be on the lookout for a front bar.

Got word from a guy whom I bought a set of rotor shaped exhaust tips from that they are finished. Didn't put these on my list as I'm not completely sure where I will use them. It was sort of an impulse buy to give my wife something unique, but thinking about it the rear of the 8 already has one rotor accent so these might be overkill. Now the 7, on the other hand...

Just a teaser, I should be home within two weeks so stay tuned for the installs. If I can talk the wife into it I'll get her to take some pictures for how-tos. Then she can't complain I'm not spending time with her!

Back