Modding the wife's car

Installed a GROM Audio Android adapter. Works great, I also bought a Bluetooth dongle but it isn't working so I need to find out why not.

Finally got around to swapping out springs on the BC coilovers the car came with. The originals were too stiff, I got these new ones a while back but couldn't get them changed out. Having a bench vise made all the difference. Going to be installing them in a day or two, we'll see how things are then.

Got the front coilovers swapped today, along with an oil/filter change. Had other stuff to do earlier and now have a date so the rears will get done tomorrow.

Decided the front was too low, and figured the rears would be too so I increased the length before installing them. Once they were in I went back to the front and increased their length the same amount. Looks good for now but final judgment will have to wait until it's driven a bit. Alignment tomorrow.

Suspension is good. Not as soft as the last setup but not as stiff as it was when we bought it. Ride height looks better and is more functional.

Since our last installment, I removed the GROM adapter as the wife's phone (Samsung) wouldn't play well with it. The car has exhibited a random clunking, haven't really tracked it down for sure but the engine mounts are a weak spot with this car (as with many recent Mazdas, especially if they are modified). On the chance that is the problem and in the spirit of my modifying for reliability, I bought a set of BHR engine mounts. They are a little pricey but the quality is amazing. Going to get them installed in the next day or two.

15086050298_ed1c29006e.jpg

15085905580_f9eeeb8db0.jpg

Installed the BHR engine mounts in the 8 tonight. Wasn't too bad outside of dealing with corroded fasteners. I did find out they are left and right hand, I put them in the wrong way at first and had trouble with the bolt on the rear of the passenger side mount. Pulled the mount to get the bolt in straight which is when I found out the difference. No test yet but I did notice increased vibrations when moving the car around, I expected that with urethane mounts. I figure they will break in some after a few miles and the vibes will reduce.

I did not see any visible problems with the factory mounts, but they are completely sealed. A few drives will see if the problem has been solved.

Took a short test drive today and no more clunking. There are definitely more vibes, the dash buzzes a little at low engine speeds and vibration can be felt through the steering wheel at higher speeds. It isn't objectionable though.

Back