30K mile service?

JimsSpeed3

:
2007 Mazda3 s Sport Hatchback
Called the dealer today for an appointment to get a front end noise checked out and thought I would have them do the 30K service also. Service Manager said the service would be about $600 which shocked me. I checked the owners manual before I called and it shows on the chart for the 24 month/30K mile schedule 1 service that the oil and filter are change and there are several inspections, that's it. I asked him why so much and he said they also flush the brake lines, service the trans, service the coolant system along with a few other things I can't remember now. He also said the Speed3 uses synthetic oil which cost more. After hanging up I rechecked the manual and didn't find where the Speed 3 uses synthetic, it showed it uses SAE 5w-30 or 10w-30 (can't remember which) but nothing about synthetic. I also didn't find where the coolant system, brake system and trans needs service at 30K. Why is he saying the 30K service (along with 60k, 90K, etc..) is a major service and the Speed3 uses synthetic oil when the owners manual shows it's not and doesn't. Or did I miss something in the manual?

Thanks!!

I spoke with my service manager last week about synthetic oil, and he said that Mazda NA is now asking the dealerships to do oil changes with synthetic to try and solve the smoking turbo issues. It's a recent change, but I've heard it too.

Synthetic isn't a bad idea, considering the heat of the turbo, but it isn't required. Anything the dealer can do in routine work that adds to your bill is a good thing (for them). You can get all that stuff done for less than 1/2 that amount. Just keep the receipts.

I spoke with my service manager last week about synthetic oil, and he said that Mazda NA is now asking the dealerships to do oil changes with synthetic to try and solve the smoking turbo issues. It's a recent change, but I've heard it too.

Thanks for the reply. I just googled the 30K service and found other threads asking the same thing (didn't find them under a search of this forum though) and found prices in the area where I live (Northern Ca) about right. Also found a thread that lists what was done and it's what I was quoted. If all this needs to be done, why doesn't the owners manual show it???

Jim

im bringing my car in on thurs. to have the 30k done. Im having them do synth. oil, and ford motorcraft tranny fluid.

You're getting taken. I just had the 30,000 mile service done by a local dealership (Courtesy Mazda in Longmont, CO) last week and it cost me $90. I provided my own transmission fluid and engine oil. No air filter replaced due to Mazdaspeed intake. Also, the service writer is full of crap. The Speed3 does not require synthetic oil. Like the earlier poster said, not a bad idea, but not required. I get mine (Penzoil Platinum) at Wal-Mart for about $30. They should check the brakes and coolant out, but they do not require servicing at this interval. Find a new dealership.

You're getting taken. I just had the 30,000 mile service done by a local dealership (Courtesy Mazda in Longmont, CO) last week and it cost me $90. I provided my own transmission fluid and engine oil. No air filter replaced due to Mazdaspeed intake. Also, the service writer is full of crap. The Speed3 does not require synthetic oil. Like the earlier poster said, not a bad idea, but not required. I get mine (Penzoil Platinum) at Wal-Mart for about $30. They should check the brakes and coolant out, but they do not require servicing at this interval. Find a new dealership.

provide my own synth. oil and trans. fluid. It needs the cabin filter replaced and there are several other things that need to be done/fixed.

They are totally trying to rip you off. You should try to call a different Mazda dealer and see what they say. I got my 30K mile check up about 2-3 months ago and i think i only paid about $75 cause i asked them to give me a synthetic oil change. They had to replace my front passenger side strut cause it was leaking oil and that was covered under the warranty. good luck.

They are totally trying to rip you off. You should try to call a different Mazda dealer and see what they say. I got my 30K mile check up about 2-3 months ago and i think i only paid about $75 cause i asked them to give me a synthetic oil change. They had to replace my front passenger side strut cause it was leaking oil and that was covered under the warranty. good luck.

$75????? You sir, are getting ripped off. $75 for an oil change is ridiculous. My dealer charges like $15 to change the oil.(granted, I do supply my own oil)

..... flush the brake lines, service the trans, service the coolant ...... i LOL'd at this..... pfffffft the only thing i would do on this list is change the oil in the trans.... not even sure that is needed.

just one more way for the stealerships to get easy money from the unsuspecting....

save your 6 bills on something cool.

I'm due for my 30k service also (i'm @ 29,600mi). The only thing is I just did an oil change 2 weeks ago and have a K+N filter to go w/ my stock box. I don't want to cough up a few hundered $$ for service that I don't really need.

I would like for them to change my front struts (I think there blown).

Called the dealer at where I bought it and was told the same thing, $500-$600 and was told that they did this, that, this and that for that price. I asked why none of this was in the owners manual and got a line of crap. I'm calling Mazda Corporate hot line next and ask them.

Jim

i would just go by the maintenance in the manual.
i can't see it being more than 150-200
if you just do an oil and tranny change
and do the cabin filter yourself

Man, the cabin filter on the speed3 is a PITA! Takes a long time to get the damn thing out that's for sure. (deadhorse

i would just go by the maintenance in the manual.
i can't see it being more than 150-200
if you just do an oil and tranny change
and do the cabin filter yourself

yea but my dealer wanted 120 to do the cabin filter
its what, a 20 dollar part if that? lol
ill spend the time and save a bill s***

Called Mazda Corporate customer service line and spoke with a rep, she wasn't much help. She took my VIN number to verify what car I had and updated my personal information but other than that, not much help. I told her what two local dealers wanted to charge me and how it was way over the top of what the owners manual said needed to be done as far as service. Her line was "well each dealership is independently owned" and "that they may be recommending what they feel is needed for driving conditions in your area". I said that both the normal driving conditions on schedule one nor the hard driving conditions on schedule two listed what the dealer wanted to do. I keep referring to the maintenance schedules in the owners manual and she did say that was the "minimum" needed to maintain the car. I did say I felt like they were just trying to run up the bill but she never bit on that, she just keep saying that all I needed to do was follow the maintenance schedule which is what I'm going to do. I'll have my mechanic do the oil and inspections and will make another dealer appointment for the noise because my car is still under warranty.

Jim

thats cuz you practically have to remove the right side of the dash to get to the damn thing, it takes like 3 hours if you've never done it before, that's probably why they are charging you so much, it's all in the labor.

yea but my dealer wanted 120 to do the cabin filter
its what, a 20 dollar part if that? lol
ill spend the time and save a bill s***

^^yeah, labor that isn't adjusted correctly. I've got a few friends that work at dealerships, and they charge you for how long a "job" is scheduled to take to complete by Mazda Corporate. This is Ford's system, but they own Mazda so go figure. But, if a job is scheduled to take an hour by the service manual, they charge you for an hour, even if they knock it out in 25 min. The mechanics also get paid on this system. I've seen them get paid for 15 hours of labor all before they even hit their lunch break. You're being charged about $80/hr for labor, now list the number of things they are checking out, and allocate at least 1 hour of labor, plus parts, and thats about what you will pay at the dealership for most services.

This is Ford's system, but they own Mazda so go figure.

This isn't true anymore. Ford sold most of its share of Mazda, so it no longer has controlling interest (I think they own something like 13% now).

Anyway, back on topic: to the OP - if you have a reasonably good relationship with your salesperson, talk to him/her. At least in my experience, the salespeople have been huge advocates on my behalf with the service department. To cite just one example, I had a recurring but hard to replicate problem with the tranny in my '99 Protege which service refused to adress - long story short, my sales guy finally got them to replace it under warranty. I think the salesperson may be able to convince your service dept. to only do the work you actually need and charge you a more reasonable price like the $75-90 that others have paid - at the very least, it can't hurt to try.

I have been told by the local dealership that I am due for 45,000 mile service. Not sure what exactly that involves. If it is a bunch of inspections, I don't think it should be necessary because I just had the car inspected there at that same dealership when I was buying it (from a private seller). That was less than 1,000 miles ago.

I've been thinking about getting the Transmission fluid changed to that Motorcraft stuff everybody raves about, and possibly replacing the plugs, but I may either do those things myself (at least the plugs) or just take it to a little local shop instead of the dealer. Any real reason to take it to the dealer for stuff like that?

Back