Check engine light blinking problem

Mixerdriver

:
Protege 5 2002 silver
Ok the other day I got a check engine light and it was solid and the car drove fine after some time the light started to blink. Thats when I started to have a problem. the car has the hardest time getting above 60 and wont shift to a higher gear. Once I got to work I reset the CE light and drove it home to see what would happen. She drove fine for about 10 minuets then the CE light came back on and was solid but she drove fine home. Got up the next day to get a ride so I would not have to take it to far and half way the CE light started blinking and she down shifted and had the same problem as before she did not want to shift to the next gear. Just for the hell of it I floored it and she shifted and then drove fine to his house. After work she drove home fine but the light was still blinking. Can anyone help please?

Sure, you should get your code read and let us know what it is. And don't drive it if possible, blinking CEL's aren't good to play with.

multiple misfires

I've experienced the same thing, and in my case the blinking check engine light was indicative of multiple misfires (I forget what the code was). The engine feels like it's running on 2-3 cylinders, no guts. My cat was shot when I bought the car last year, so I'm not concerned about the misfires damaging it. In my case my best guess at this point is a faulty coil as the plugs are new and wires within spec. As Beh mentioned, unless you already know your cat is shot as in my case, be careful. Misfires will damage your cat in short order due to un-ignited gas fumes affecting the catalyst.
Good luck!

Your car was in limp mode when it wouldn't upshift, you aren't supposed to keep reseting the light if it continues to go into limp mode. We also can't do anything until you find out what code is being thrown.

By the way many autoparts stores read them for free. Also get the code number or numbers not the clerks interpretation of what it means :)

Whoa... you do not want to keep driving the car when the CEL blinks. Check that code ASAP and keep the car parked until you sort it out.

i had this issue as well as a few others... i;m willing to bet your transmission range sensor is acting up (p0705), if you reset the ecu (with a code reader about $40 at autozone) you may be good for sometime, and it may come back...get the code read and come back here and let us know

Just out of curiosity when was the last time you replaced the air filter ? If it's misfiring, which I kinda doubt, you can test it by: Just start your car and let it idle and pull the coils out one by one so you only have one coil out at a time. If the car idles down that's good, if the car doesn't idle down that's the coil that is misfiring. Aside from that I agree with the other guys go get your codes read.

he's having shifting problems? his tranny is in limp mode, protecting the trans from damage....no misfire problems...

I just got the car about 3 weeks ago so everything is new to me. I got it to drive back and forth to work and since i have had it i have only driven it 3 days to work and a little bit around town. I have not had much time to play with it and get to know it its getting very frustrating. I keep reading the boards to get as much info as i can. Last night I tried to remove my EGR valve and was feeling for the bolts and only felt one as i was getting the wrench on the one left ( I still wasn't sure if it was the correct bolt) and the bolt was lose and the valve moved free. So off to the Depot to get a second bolt. I get home go to put the freshly cleaned valve back in the car and I drop the original bolt and it fails to fall to the ground so after an hour of searching in the engine I gave up. So now I have to find the bolt so I can move on. GETTING PISSED!!!! Now I'm not sure how much of my problem is coming from that.

Back