Battery Light Flashing

Can't my car just have normal problems? 2006 Mazda3 5 spd manual.

CEL light was on and off for a month or so, finally got the code pulled at Autozone, basically said it was my air intake sensor/air input running too rich. I have a cold air intake that was put in about 2 years ago by my boyfriend (he rebuilt a Porsche engine, knows what he's doing under the hood, etc.).

He pulled out the filter and cleaned it, tightened the hose clamp, and had me start it. It stalled the first time, and started fine the second time.

Now my battery light flashes occasionally and randomly. For instance, work is 30 minutes away. I may drive 5 or 6 minutes before the first flash, and then another 10 before the second flash. It's only a flash, though. Then it might blink twice really quick, then maybe not at all for the rest of the drive. No power loss, no low idling, it never flashes while I'm idling. It most often happens while shifting, but sometimes while just cruising at a steady speed. It happens in all gears.

WTF is wrong with my car? I'm pulling out the battery tomorrow and testing it, but if the battery was dead, wouldn't it well, you know, die?

Have the alternator checked. Although the light is labeled battery it comes on
when there is an alternator problem.

Clifton

the battery light usually indicates the entire charging system. that includes the battery as well as the alternator. check your serpentine belt, make sure its not slipping. you can see if thats the issue if you see the light coming on when the a/c is on, or maybe when you're turning.

I actually found a wire in the harness running to my air intake that was partially severed. A little solder, and things are better! Hooray!

I actually found a wire in the harness running to my air intake that was partially severed. A little solder, and things are better! Hooray!

which colored wire?

mine was the black one, and man.. it idle'd rough and died at stop lights. lol.

glad you found what was wrong with it though!

This is a really common problem -- did you extend the wires when you re-soldered them? If not, it's going to happen again eventually. The engine torques surprisingly far when you rev it, and the MAF harness wires don't have enough slack so they get pulled when this happens, and eventually come loose from the sensor or break, as you discovered. Add in another 6" or so of wire to prevent it from recurring.

Can't my car just have normal problems? 2006 Mazda3 5 spd manual.

CEL light was on and off for a month or so, finally got the code pulled at Autozone, basically said it was my air intake sensor/air input running too rich. I have a cold air intake that was put in about 2 years ago by my boyfriend (he rebuilt a Porsche engine, knows what he's doing under the hood, etc.).

He pulled out the filter and cleaned it, tightened the hose clamp, and had me start it. It stalled the first time, and started fine the second time.

Now my battery light flashes occasionally and randomly. For instance, work is 30 minutes away. I may drive 5 or 6 minutes before the first flash, and then another 10 before the second flash. It's only a flash, though. Then it might blink twice really quick, then maybe not at all for the rest of the drive. No power loss, no low idling, it never flashes while I'm idling. It most often happens while shifting, but sometimes while just cruising at a steady speed. It happens in all gears.

WTF is wrong with my car? I'm pulling out the battery tomorrow and testing it, but if the battery was dead, wouldn't it well, you know, die?

im currently having the EXACT same problem in my 2004 Mazda 3 (2.3, nonspeed) i checked my MAF wires and none of them appeared to be severed, i cut the sheath all the way to the BIG hose that contains the wires and there was nothin that looked severed, how far back or in was your wires severed on your maf? i know this is an old post sorry! any input helps!

The voltage on the battery was 12.3 which was good (i think) and with the car ON the alternator voltage ran about 13.4ish and under load it was 12.9 (i belive that is good to)

please respond!

Last edited:
Not sure on the 3 but it should be close to the maf just a probe with 2 wires typically in a grommet in the intake piping.

ill look again, but it appears to be okay! getting price checks on alternators right now! autozone said they can test alternators, but would i have to pull it off the car first to get tested?

The IAT sensor looks like it bolts up to a flange with 2 screw. I looked at protegegarage's site under 3 intakes since it would relocate to that pipe.

Back