Check Engine Light (CEL) System Too Lean (Bank 1)

mikwhitesheep

:
2003 Mazda Protege 5
Check Engine Light (CEL) System Too Lean (Bank 1)

Re: 2003 Mazda Protg5, 46,800 miles, All Stock.

The CEL came on, took car to Auto Zone, got code - System Too Lean (Bank 1).

I call my maintenance Mazda Dealer and they wanted over $300.00 just to change the Oxygen Sensor.

I replaced the Oxygen Sensor ($122.54) myself with an OEM part from Mazda Dealer Online for $129.04 with shipping. Got a Free Loaner Oxygen Sensor Removal Tool from Auto Zone, I choose the nice chrome one.
1. Remove the Air Intake.
2. Disconnect the Oxygen Sensor.(then you have to squeeze or push in on the underside of the metal bracket holding the Oxygen Sensor Plug in place, to pop it out; this was the hardest part for me.)
3. Remove Heat Shield that says, HOT.
4. Use the Oxygen Sensor Removal Tool to remove the old Oxygen Sensor.
5. Reverse the application.
6. Disconnect the Car Battery for 15 minutes.

The CEL was off for about 4 hours of driving and then the CEL came on. I took it back to Auto Zone and got the same code. I searched for hours on the Mazda Forum to figure out what was going wrong. I checked all my vacuum hoses looked good. Then I found the crack in the Air Intake Hose after the MAF sensor on the flexible part of the hose. I could not see it until I opened the Air Filter Box and lifted it upwards. The hose was literally cut in half. So I got out the Duct Tape.
1. Close the Air Filter Box.
2. Dry clean the Air Intake Hose.
3. Cut a 10 inch strip of Duct Tape.
4. Stick the Duct Tape on the back of your fingers (starting at your fingernails towards your wrist) so that about 3 inches of your fingers are covered. Then fold the Duct Tape back over your fingers onto your palm.
5. Slip your hand under the Air Intake where the crack is and stick the Duct Tape, now peel the Duct Tape off the back of your fingers up and around the hose.
6. Disconnect the Car Battery for 15 minutes.

You have to buy a new Air Intake from an OEM parts dealer because they do not sell them at Auto Zone. So I purchased an Air Intake Hose($42.08) and an Air Filter Element($14.81) from the same Mazda Part Dealer Online for $63.39 with shipping. Just waiting for them to arrive.

just had this problem with a local guy, he was getting random multiple missfires and he thought it was the coils, so when i was replacing the coils i noticed his plastic was cracked in numerous places, so we did the same thing u did lol broke out the duct tape until he can buy a new piece, worked perfect

I usually clean The maf and throttle body with appropriate cleaners as well because of the unfiltered air. Most Mazda dealers have more than 10 of these intake hoses in invintory.

I had the same problem. Just got my Air intake hose in the mail today. I did not go through what you did by changing the O2 sensor. I went Auto Zone, got the code (P1171 I think) then went to this web site. found out I need to check the hose, which did and found the a two inch cut in it. I 've had tape around it for the last week or so until I got my part in.

I got it from here (http://n2mazda.com/FP47_13_220A)

Back