Cylinder missfire?

:
08 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
ever since its gotten warmer i get this random CEL that says that a cylinder 4 missfire was detected. it has happened twice now over the course of 2 months. could it be my aftermarket plugs? should I replace them with a different brand?

most likely. Were they gapped correctly? Only time I've gotten a misfire was because there was water under my valve cover from cleaning my engine. How long have the plugs been in there?

check the plugs, the gap, the coilpacks, even do the coil spring stretch mod and a dap of di-electric grease on the plug tip for a better contact. As said above, if you clean your engine there could be water down in there too...

the plugs havnt even seen 8000 miles yet and they were pre gapped to the factory setting, but ill yank them out and check all the above. thanks!

Plugs Are never pre-gaped, check the gap

they ARE factory gapped out of the box and I measured them before installation and they were gapped properly. I bought them from SU and it says in the product description that they are gapped to factory setting.

Last edited:
If it's an ITV-22, people usually change them with 15k miles, but they foul quicker if you're not in boost too much or "take it easy" with the engine. I would say check that first, they're pretty cheap on EBAY.

Some people get misfires before the engine goes boom, don't wanna scare you but do you feel anything is wrong with the car? Clutch-pedal vibrating?

Back