Rattling noise from rear axle ?

urir10

Hi All
Not sure if this is the right place to post it but hopefully i can get some help.

I have a 2003 Mazda Protege ES. About 3 days ago my car started making that noise that seems to come from the back wheels. The noise sounds like a door that needs some oil sprayed at the joins; sort of like rusted metal spinning.

it doesnt look like its the breaks as the noise doesnt get worse or better when going on bumps and such, but its constant when driving but is gone when stopped. Also when i get in the car in the morning it starts off slowly and picks up to be very loud after about 15-20min drive. If you get out of the car and push it after driving it you will hear it too, coming from the rear wheels.

Any idea what that might be?

brake pads squealing?.. there shouldn't be an axle in the back it's front wheel drive. best to jack the car up and on stands then spin the wheels and track down the noise

Last edited:
figured it out, it was actualy the rear sway bar bushing, such a little piece and so much freaking noise lol. went to Mazda and got 2 new ones for $5 each. :)

Thanks for the help

Back