CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Brake Light

2006 Mazda 5

3rd Brake Light

Virginia
    2008 Mazda 5 Sport

Anyone had to replace or repair the 3rd Brake Light?

Had my anual inspection today and my 3rd brake light is not working; went to the auto parts store, told me they didn't carry it, called a different store, got the same info.

Searched the forum but didn't see any info or anyone posting.......

Thanks in advance for any info
    dfskinner
    dfskinner
    If you don't know where you want to go....
    "Then it doesn't much matter how you get there"
    (2006 Mazada 5)

Registered Member

Have you tried replacing the bulb?

2006 Mazda 5

Heat, I hadn't really even looked at it other than to see that two bolts (I think) hold it in place with a plug on the right side behind the cover.

Are each "LED" a seperate bulb?

Do you replace the entire strip?

Anyone have pic's or instructions on how to take the brake light out?

Instructions on how to replace the brake light? or Repair the light?

Thanks again for info
    dfskinner
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

DBA-BK3P

The led bulbs can't be replaced individually. The entire housing has to be replaced. I was bored one day and took mine out just to see how hard it was to replace. It's fairly simple. Lift the tailgate, remove the cover behind the brake light, unscrew and unplug the brake light, done.

You only have two options, going through your local dealer or going online through onlinemazdaparts. Here is the website for onlinemazdaparts and they're probably a little cheaper than the dealer. LINK
    Last edited by P2K; 04-03-2010 at 12:32 PM.

2006 Mazda 5

thanks for the info, you're right easy to remove and you can't replace just a bulb; the entire things is sealed except for the fact that my connector. Seems my connector has some rust on it and the bottom post is not connecting or has caused it to short out or blow.

Stealer ----------------- - $ 154.00
    Link you provided --------- $ 114.50
    Online Junk Yard ---------- $ 45.00

I'll be calling the junk yard on Monday to ask them to ship

http://www.car-part.com/
    Last edited by dfskinner; 04-08-2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: corrected link..........
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

DBA-BK3P

Actually it's $89.32 + 6.50 shipping. If the junkyard route doesn't pan out, give them a try. Good luck.

2006 Mazda 5

thanks, I didn't look far enough to the right........ I'll certainly keep them in mind.....

thanks again for your help............

2006 Mazda 5

Received the third brake light from the salvage yard today; took about 5 mins to install, we're back in business, re-inspection tomorrow......... I've also put some silicone on and around the plug to prevent it from rusting out like the old one...... The salvage yard sent the plug and about 6 inches of wiring..... looked almost new........

If anyone is looking for parts I'd like to suggest you check the online search first; I couldn't believe the savings on just the "3rd brake light"........

And thanks to everyone on the board for you help........and answering my post........

dfskinner
    Va Beach

The sharkfin is in

Odds are the issue was the connector. LED's don't blow. they wear out, but a typical LED has a half life of 100,000 hours. IE 100,000 hours until it's half as bright as when new!!! you basicly can;t wear one out in a car break light! corrosion on either the plug or the board is more likely and as the unit is sealed and protected by the wing built into the tailgate I'd say you likely have a leak at the connector. a few minutes cleaning the connector would fix the issue!
    Mods
    ------------
    Sharkfin Antenna
    Custom 8" sub enclosure
    HID's

2006 Mazda 5

was98strat, you were right, the connector was bad, but one of the legs on the light was rusted soo bad it broke off when I was trying to clean it..... I've since gone back in and reapplied silicone to make sure this does not happen in the future.......

Word of advise, if you wash your car a lot, make sure you check for a good seal where the connector and the light come together......

Registered Member

2008 Mazda5

same thing here ... :(

I am having the same thing. I own my Mazda 5 for a year now and I remember, that about a week after we got it, we went through a car wash and ended up having some water dripping out of the top part of the back door inside the car.

Well, I just had that power steering recall done at a mazda place and they tell me my third brake light it out. Okay "thanks for letting me know, I'll will fix it", I said. "No. It needs a whole new harness since its bad too and will cost $1800." !!!! WHAT ?!

I looked at it and the pins from the light rusted away.
    I think, if I just buy a new light I can still use the the connector.

Thanks for the used car dealer info, I will contact those first.

johenkel

2008 Mazda5 Touring
    1995 Mitsubishi Galant SE (sold)
    1994 Jeep Cherokee 4x2
    1989 Olds Cutlass Ciera (sold)
    1983 Golf 1 (RIP)

1980 Fiat 500 convertible
    1970 Trabant deluxe wagon (RIP)

2010 Mazda 5 Sport

FWIW, the 3rd Gen Nissan Maximas had the same issue but with them it was the resistors (capacitor) that usually rusted out. If you have soldering skillz you can replace them with the Radio Shack equivalent and be on ur way..something else to look at with our vehicles...

Mazda5 GT

carpart.com is a good website. I've been referred there several times.

m.
    '08 Mazda5 GT, Brilliant Black, fog light jumper, MS3 springs, 35% tint, 18" RX8, 16" Protege5

'00 VW Golf TDI, Satin Silver w/ some real zoom-zoom & burning biodiesel!

Registered Member

2008 Mazda5 Touring

Putting thermal grease or anti-seize onto the connector contacts will help combat corrosion better than anything I've found.
    Aaron

Old thread, but same deal here. One of the posts was rusted/broken. We noticed water dripping inside while on vacation and I pulled the light to find that. New on order. I wouldn't buy used for this because it's obviously a design issue due to the frequency so any used one you buy may be close to failing. I'll seal it up before installing the new one once it gets here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast