New Federal CAFE standards officially released, 34.1 mpg by 2016

coolmazda5

Contributor
:
2008 Mazda5 5MT Sport w/ Popular Package
56223666.jpg

We knew it was coming. Today, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the Environmental Protection Agency jointly released new federal Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) fuel mileage and greenhouse gas emissions requirements that will cover the 2012 through 2016 model years. The estimated fleet-wide fuel economy standard has been set at 34.1 miles per gallon by 2016, though improvements in air conditioning systems will bring that number up to around 35 mpg. That equals a standard of roughly 250 grams of carbon dioxide per mile.

The overall fleet fuel mileage requirement will be an average between both passenger cars and light trucks, and NHTSA is predicting that the 2012 numbers will be 33.3 for cars and 25.4 for trucks in 2012, rising to 37.8 for cars and 28.8 for trucks by 2016. As before, credits will be dished out for vehicles that can run on E85 (ethanol), though automakers will need to prove their cars are running on the alcohol fuel by 2015 to continue earning those credits.

Smaller volume automakers that sold fewer that 400,000 cars in 2009 will get a break on the requirements while "specialty automakers" such as BMW and Porsche will reportedly get longer lead-in times. Automakers will also get some sort of incentive for the first 200,000 plug-in hybrids and electric vehicles built by 2016. These standards are said to be equivalent to taking 58 million cars off our nation's roads for a year, representing a savings of 1.8 billion barrels of oil.

Naturally, all of this is going to cost some extra dough. If the Feds are right, automakers will spend $51.5 billion over the next five years putting the standards into effect and the average price of a new car will rise by $985 by 2016. Savings, though, are expected to be even greater, with the average consumer will net an extra $3,000 in their wallets per in fuel savings over the life of the vehicle.

[Autoblog]

I'm hoping this ends well for us. There is a possibility we'll see more diesels, but it seems lately that we're just going to get a retarded hybrid version of everything.

I'm hoping this ends well for us. There is a possibility we'll see more diesels, but it seems lately that we're just going to get a retarded hybrid version of everything.

Speaking of retarded hybrids...I saw a yukon hybrid, what a joke :p

I just want more Diesels

Speaking of retarded hybrids...I saw a yukon hybrid, what a joke :p

I just want more Diesels

Yeah, I've seen a few of those. The really pathetic thing about them is that you get tax credits for buying those, so we're all subsidizing the ******* things.

Edit: $1300 credit for a Jetta TDI...$2200 for a Tahoe Hybrid. Who passes this s***?

Yeah, I've seen a few of those. The really pathetic thing about them is that you get tax credits for buying those, so we're all subsidizing the ******* things.

Edit: $1300 credit for a Jetta TDI...$2200 for a Tahoe Hybrid. Who passes this s***?

Look @ washington, it's pretty obvious who's passing it...dumbass politicians on both sides not thinking...wait, do they ever?

Look @ washington, it's pretty obvious who's passing it...dumbass politicians on both sides not thinking...wait, do they ever?

They are thinking, thinking about how much the auto industry is going to be giving their next campaign.

To stay on topic I read an article about automakers just paying small fines instead meeting the requirements. Some already do that now, it would be interesting to see if more do that or if they actually try to meet the requirements.

moar diesels? *grin*

Btw, my TDI was just tuned...up from 100hp/177ftlb to a whoppin 153hp/295ftlb :)

Back