Timing belt change? Protege headlights?

p5pusher

hey, few questions to ask

I got my timing belt changed about a year and a half ago, which is probably about 50,000 miles for me or so, how often should I have it changed, my P5 is in the shop now and I'm considering getting it done.

Also, i would like to add some aftermarket black HID headlights, but all the ones I'm finding online are listed as being for the Protege and not the Protege5, is there any difference?

Thanks for helping out a novice

a timing belt chould be changed on a P5 about at 100,000 miles. and as far as an HID kit, you have to know your bulb type. i know that the P5 uses H7 as its bulb for its low beams. hope this helps

when you say black hid headlights? what do you mean? you want the headlights with the black bezel? and an HID kit to go with it? check the how to section... there is a how-to on how-to make your headlights black :)

The ones that are black (ebay) are for the protege and they are different because they use one bulb for both high and lowbeams. They will fit but you have to mod the harness for the bulbs.

I say, find the how-to and paint em yourself and score a set of hids at ddmtuning.

There is large debate about when to do the timing belt. I think you can hold out for a little longer but when you do get it changed, do the water pump and all the belts as well.

I will look on ebay again, for black bezel lights, and hopefully find one with HID's as well. As far as the do it yourself, im not really a diy guy, i'd rather pay and have it done right. I've tried in the past and usually end up costing myself more money than if I would have had it done professionally from the beginning. And I'm gonna hold off on the timing belt replacement for now.

Painting your bezel black is only going to cost you about $10 and an hour of your time. Black p5 lights on eBay will cost you atlear $400. But atleast your lights will be brand new :)

if you do buy new lights I'll buy your old ones :)

105K to be exact...

+1. Unless you live in the far northern reaches of the arctic circle, don't bother with the 60k mile interval. I see temperature fluctuations in Iowa from -50 in January to 110 in July, and the extreme cold/heat has never seemed to have any effect on belt integrity.

Back