How to carry 4 bikes?

I would not like to try it, but has anyone tried a 2" adapter into a 1 1/4" receiver in order to accommodate a bigger rack?

I would not like to try it, but has anyone tried a 2" adapter into a 1 1/4" receiver in order to accommodate a bigger rack?

Not sure if this is the correct answer to your question but the Thule racks, have a 2" end that goes into the hitch. There is a metal sleeve (for lack of a better description) that comes off and vola` you have a 1 1/4. Is that kinda what you were asking?

Forgot to add, we checked the sunroof, with the bars. Stephen opened it from the inside and I put my hand between the glass and the bars. There is NO WAY that thing was going to open! I now have a band-aid covering the buttons! :) I just knew I'd forget and try to open the darn thing.

Is Yakima's recommendation against Class I hitches new? I don't remember seeing the warning last year when I researched and bought my hitch and Yakima Double-Down 4.

The hitch rack insert ran into a insertion-limiting restriction "tab" on the right side of the class 1 hitch receiver preventing the rack from fully being inserted. I have to cut a small channel ~1/4" wide or so for ~1/2" on the right side of the rack insert to allow the rack to slide past the tab so it can be fully seated.

Might be a good idea to take things easy with a lighter duty Class I hitch and the limited tongue weight limits. Probably more conservative for Yakima to stop at a more robust Class II level to to avoid hitch system failure complaints, etc.

Not sure if this is the correct answer to your question but the Thule racks, have a 2" end that goes into the hitch. There is a metal sleeve (for lack of a better description) that comes off and vola` you have a 1 1/4. Is that kinda what you were asking?

yes that is exactly what I am reffering to.

Looking at that rack, the instructions state that it should only be used on Class 2 receivers. I assume that the only issue of Class 1 v. Class 2 is the total weight (tongue weight) of the two different types of hitches.

I just double checked the instructions and they do indicate it should only be used with a Class 2 receiver. My only response to that is that I guess Allen is covering themselves. Since Class 1 receivers are rated to 200 lbs tongue weight I can't see 3 bikes causing a problem, but of course YMMV.

If you go to Mazda.ca and price a new Mazda 5, it allows you to add a hitch and 4 bike rack as an option. Seems to be a conflict with our dealer though.

was cheaper to get my hitch installed at cap-it than at the dealer back in 07 but yeah its not a warranty concern to install a hitch for bike rack and I think without adding transmission cooling stuff, might burn it out when pulling a trailer.

My Mazda5 with 4 bikes:

39814_461345713059_655798059_6367187_2109475_n.jpg

Works just fine. Mileage is not too bad, but I tend to drive much slower too when the car is loaded.

Last edited:
Shoredad, is that the "stock" mazda rack? On the Mazda site the rack looks much higher then yours. I haven't gotten a roof rack yet and yours looks good.

We're looking at doing a bike trip with all 3 kids next spring---4 bikes, a trail-a-bike, and at least one trailer. Hrm...I wonder what our's will look like loaded up?

Back