funny clunk sound shifting to Reverse

Funny sound coming from front end when shifting to Reverse

noticed a 'clunk'/'clank' sound when i put my 3 in reverse, it happens not all the time but at least 4 -5 timews a week, especially first thing in the morning however it only happens when shifting from Park to reverse not from drive/neutral to reverse...any ideas what is causing this?

ps:the car has had a Transmission flush somewhat recently and hasnt been involved in any accidents or had any other transmission problems

thx in advanced

Last edited:
heard it again today , and it seems to be coming from the drivers of the front axle when shifting from Park to reverse...

Which transmission do you have? If you have the 5 speed automatic you may be hearing a solenoid that is there for a reason. I asked my dealer about what I believe is the same noise and they said that it is a solenoid that helps with getting the car into gear from park or something like that. I only noticed it when I was shifting from park to reverse also.

Hope this helps,
Josh

hmmm interesting, i went to the dealer today to ask about it, the service guy actally mentioned that it might be related to a service bulletin where ther is a shim thats needed to fix some sort of linkage that 's sliding around the front brakes particularliy the drivers side, not sure if i articulated that properly but anyways im bringing it in to have them look at it so ill add some more info in a few days

so after the trip to the dealer they discovered that when the previous owner serviced the car the mechanic put way too much tranny fluid in aftera flucs so basically it was overfilled, got it drained to the right level and no more noise...

Back