Front differential leaking?

Evolved

:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT
Over the past weekend a few other members and myself had a wrench day. While we were under my car putting in a test pipe, I noticed that the front diff. case appeared to be leaking. The leaking wasn't bad, as in dripping onto the floor, but there was the appearence of oil around the seams of the casing. Is this something normal or do you all think this would warrant a trip to the dealer? I ask because if I'm going to bring it into the dealer, I'm going to return it to stock form.

Edit....car has approximately 38K miles on it, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Not normal, but common. Mine left a silver-dollar sized drip mark on my bottom engine cover every 6 months (as did my transfer case). Has been leaking since they did the clutch TSB. I didn't get too concerned since I wasn't ready to have my car spend another week up on a lift.

When you have the time, take it in and have it fixed under warranty.

Not normal, but common. Mine left a silver-dollar sized drip mark on my bottom engine cover every 6 months (as did my transfer case). Has been leaking since they did the clutch TSB. I didn't get too concerned since I wasn't ready to have my car spend another week up on a lift.

When you have the time, take it in and have it fixed under warranty.

My warranty is up at the end of the year, so I'll have to do it before then. I have a handfull of other little issues (trunk won't release with key fob, keyless door unlock button on passenger side is worn off, etc.).

Thanks for the help!

Could you tell where it was leaking from on the part itself? Or was it just collecting fluid on the exterior of the part?

Could you tell where it was leaking from on the part itself? Or was it just collecting fluid on the exterior of the part?

It appeared to be leaking from where the two halves of the casing come together. Oil based as opposed to some other fluid.

I'd like to get under there and check it out before you take it to a dealer (if you don't mind). Maybe at the next wrench day?

I'd like to get under there and check it out before you take it to a dealer (if you don't mind). Maybe at the next wrench day?

That'd be great.....thanks! Next wrench day, or I could always jack it up on Sunday at the Boeing event? If not, next wrench day works fine.

Back