Rear washer not working?

:
2008 CX-9
My rear windshield washer isn't working. I hear the pump running and have washer fluid in the tank, the fronts work fine. I can't really see anything through that hole in the rear spoiler. Is that spoiler glued to the window or is it something that is easy to remove? It may just be a clogged nozzle, but you cant' fix what you can't see!

To take the rear spoiler off,
- take the upper trim off from inside
- take the spoiler off from outside

Attachments

• tail-spoiler001.jpg
    tail-spoiler001.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2,289
  • tail-spoiler002.jpg
    tail-spoiler002.jpg
    810 KB · Views: 2,233
I am not sure if our CX-9s come with two seperate washer pumps or if it uses only one for both front and rear...if anyone can confirm please.

1. You could have a bad pump if you cant hear it when you turn your rear washer on.
2. Your water line or washer nozzle could be clogged or perhaps even frozen if its cold enough in OR to freeze.

At any rate, if you are still within warranty specs, just let the dealer take care of it.

Turns out the rear washer outlet must be above the front washer outlet. My tank ran dry today and when I refilled it the rear started working as well. So when the tank is about 95% empty your rear washer will stop working, so time to refill! Glad I didn't waste a trip to the dealer.

Hmm, I took some time to check the WorkShop manual.
Apparently, there are TWO washer motors attached to the tank at the lower part.
The one for the rear sits higher than the one for the front (which makes sense).
Therefore, the rear one should run out of fluid first, which is a sign that the fluid is nearly empty.

I have similar problem except I can hear water hitting somehwere in right front wheel well area. Washer fluid pouring out right infront of paasnger front door. I think the hose to the back has poped off the motor. Anyone have any idea how to access this location. Thanks

Crawl under the bumper and you will likely have to take the fender liner out, or at least half way remove the fender liner. FYI - alot of fender liner clips/plastic screws are non-reuseable.

Here is exactly where the lines plug into the tank. Looks like the lines plug in to the washer pumps and then run up across the upper apron rail, I don't see any junction in the line, so likely your issue (rftrain) is just that it came unplugged from the pump.
PB075704.jpg

PB075705.jpg

PB075707.jpg

PB075708.jpg

helbigtw,

Thank you very much. The pics are really helpful. However based on your pics it looks like, if the hose poped off at the motor motor then I should be getting fluid infront of the tire not infront of the pasanger door. According to the diagram on this website it looks like my issue might be the first connection after "y"

http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/s...y_TrimLevel=0&ukey_modelRange=0&searchString=

My car is under extended waranty and it would most likely cost me $100 deductable charge becaue this shouldn't be a ware and tear issue. I think this might not be worth saving the $100 because it doesn't look like i can access that first junction based on waht you said and your pics. What do you think?

I think if it is leaking in back of the tire, then its the front hood wiper nozzle hose, not the rear hose.
The rear hose only has one nozzle, so I would bet it is a continuous line, but the front washers have a split somewhere, cuz there is one line from the pump, and 2 nozzles on the hood, so my bet is wherever that junction is...looks like its probly somewhere at the back of the fender.
Open the hood and see if you can trace the nozzle lines.

frost washer works fines. Rear washer is definitely the issue. I def looks like there is a juction based on the pcture on the website.

Back