timing belt change - timing marks

c4racer

So the timing marks to line up are the single tabs on the cam gears?

I am working on a Japan take-out motor that came to me intact, and supposedly was pulled from a running vehicle. And those timing marks never line up.

WTF?

They end up being a little below horizontal. There's a picture floating around somewhere. It's the closest the marks get to pointing towards each other.

On the P5 they dont exactly line up before hand so that they can slightly move upon installation of the belt and then end up in the right place.

i got mine to line up perfectly... its just takes patients... and it helps if you have a cam shaft holder thingy of a bob and some extra hands

I needed my Lovely Bride to help hold the cams against the spring tension to get the belt 'right' and once released - the marks line up (within 'one tooth' of the belt ;) ).

i got it by myself, it was freakin easy
put the belt on the crank first, then the intake side, make sure the mark is horizontal, i used a rachet and socket on the bolt to turn the camshaft when needed, alot easier, then slip it over the exhaust side using the rachet method
once thats done, take an allen wrench and turn the tensioner to the right until u can get the spring on, and bam, your done

I figured it out. I didn't realize the marks to line up are not the plastic bumps in the gears, but small indentations along the edge. Looking at it in better light helped, and it was pretty obvious once it lined up. The timing marks line up every other crankshaft revolution, so there is only one position the crank could be in by definition. I managed to get the belt on - needed to move one of the cam gears just a bit to get the belt to sync, and then once on it was pretty obvious it was on the right tooth. Checked it again after 2 crank revolutions and dead-on.

I can imagine what fun that would be with the engine in the car (hand)

My motor is on an engine stand. Made it rather easy to get to. I figured now was the time even tho this motor only has 35-40K miles on it. I installed a new water pump too. I don't want to be dealing with that any time soon.

I was reading the manual and it say you have to remove the engine mount and suspend the enegine. Is the reason we need to remove the mount and suspend the engine to get better acces?

I was reading the manual and it say you have to remove the engine mount and suspend the enegine. Is the reason we need to remove the mount and suspend the engine to get better acces?

The mount has to removed so that you can get all your belts off. But just stick a jack with a block of wood under the oil pan and you'll be fine without an engine support brace.

Back